Options

Should I give notice?

Hello,

I recently accepted a new position as a network administrator.

I've signed and returned the offer letter. I still need to have a criminal background check and a drug test completed.
Both of which I will pass without a doubt.

I want to give notice now, but I am hesitant doing it before the results come back.

I am wondering what you would do in this situation.

Comments

• Options
    TybTyb Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd probably wait until I had a set start date.
    WGU BS:IT Security (March 2015)
    WGU MS:ISA (February 2016 )
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Wait until you are told everything is good and have a start date . I've had criminal checks take 2 weeks before
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've done it before. I have never been arrested and don't use drugs so I knew it would come back fine. They actually ended up calling me later that day when I had put in my two weeks. I was single then though with a decent sized savings and didn't care if I missed a week.
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Tyb wrote: »
    I'd probably wait until I had a set start date.

I have a set start date.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    OP, what does "The want to give notice now" mean? Do you mean YOU want to do it now or the new employer? It sounds like "they" so I'm confused.
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    OP, what does "The want to give notice now" mean? Do you mean YOU want to do it now or the new employer? It sounds like "they" so I'm confused.

I changed it. I meant "I want to give notice now".
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would wait until two weeks and a day before the new job's start day to give notice.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    jvrlopez wrote: »
    I would wait until two weeks and a day before the new job's start day to give notice.

I am really hoping to have a few days between jobs to take care of some personal things (dr appointments, etc).
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a set start date.

thats probably an estimated start date. I would wait until your background check clears, and they tell you that. You can always follow up with them to see if everything is good to go.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    sigsoldiersigsoldier Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was just in a similar situation a few weeks ago. Even though I knew everything would come back fine, I still waited until everything was good to go before I dropped my 2 weeks notice.

Believe me, I know how you feel though. It adds extra stress to your job being the only one who knows that you are about to resign.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I have to side with those who say to wait. I hired a tech several years ago. For some reason that no one could understand his background check took 4 weeks after HR requested it to their provider. No one was ever able to explain what happened. When it came back it was clean as a whistle. It's a miracle we didn't lose the guy as he was convinced we were giving him the runaround. I'm sure this is the exception more than the norm but it does happen.
  • Options
    Tom ServoTom Servo Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I never give notice until all employment contengencies have been met (background check, drug test, whatever else). I tell employers this when they make an offer and start trying to talk start dates. I think you introduce unnecessary risk into things when you can just wait to put in your two weeks notice for 1-2 weeks. I also push my start date back to wait on the drug test as a small protest against drug testing. If you want to look at my pee before letting me work, I will delay starting. I hope one day to tell employers to shove off if they want to examine my fluids, but I'm not quite THAT good yet :)