Options

Resume critique..

Christopher Resume.pdf

Hey, I am looking for a new Job in IT, I was wondering if someone can look at my resume and provide some suggestions. I know its bad.. =(

Edit: Added PDF

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Sanitize personal info and post here. PDF or DOC preferred.
  • Options
    swisschris104swisschris104 Member Posts: 109
    Sorry forgot to attach, here it is: Christopher Resume.pdf
  • Options
    si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think the CV looks fine. If I was you though, I'd add a small 'Profile' section at the top and briefly give some information to 'cushion' it. You have some nice certs and work exp but I can't figure out much else. In your profile you could say: "I'm seeking a job in X area of IT as I am passionate about this area and it's a natural progression from my previous roles". Or whatever you see fit. I think that would help to give your CV a bit of personality. Good luck.
  • Options
    yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    si20 wrote: »
    I'm seeking a job in X area of IT as I am passionate about this area and it's a natural progression from my previous roles"
    and what's the point of saying that when you are applying for that job already?

IMO, you just have had two jobs and one education. That's a one-page length resumee.
  • Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    I agree with yzT that it should just be a one page resume. Also, I noticed the following issues:

- You should only list industry recognized certifications under "Certifications"
    - You spelled experience wrong
    - Capitalization and punctuation issues
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I am not sure if this is a draft or a somewhat final version, but the way it is right now doesn't work and will definitely hurt your chances of landing something. At least you recognize it is bad so that's a start.

I think you should invest some time checking out other resumes before you even attempt to improve yours. My biggest issue here is the verbiage itself. In many environments communication skills are important; both verbal and written. The way tis is redacted suggests you may struggle in a position requiring lots of email or report writing.

Examples:
    - "Imported data from a schools previous school management system into our system, customized report cards, and created custom data reports for the schools use." - way too many "schools" in one sentence

- "Strongly familiar with Sonicwalls and Cisco routers" - what does this mean? do you rack them? do you mess with rules and ACLs? the way it is right now tells me absolutely nothing. I a strongly familiar with the beautiful blonde that lives 2 houses down because I see her every day, but other than that I know nothing about her (I'm working on changing that icon_smile.gif )

- "Ability to work with software vendor support, and in ability to work in a team" - almost sounds like you are unable to work in a team

Other random sutff:
    - this MUST be a one page resume. Adjust spacing, consolidate, remove fluff
    - the typos are not acceptable. when I hire I immediately discard resumes with typos. This shows blatant lack of attention to detail
    - current job should should be listed first
    - stick to one font and one only
    - I would right the state as two letter: IL, OR
    - for someone with experience and a degree high school doesn't belong in a resume. Strip it off
    - you don't mention anything international, so adding "United States" to your college adds zero. Take it off.

Again, go out there and read other resumes so you can get a better sense of what I'm saying. After that take a fresh look at yours, redo it, and come back here with the results.