Options

Getting 2 MBA's

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Thoughts

I completed my MBA from WGU about 2 years ago. Well, since then I locked on with a Fortune 20 company and they are willing to pay for my masters even though I have a on line MBA.

They have a partnership with a local University around the area, which is in the top 25 for MBA's in the US.

They will pay for the whole thing as long as I get a B or higher in each course. I am really thinking about this, the degree is over 140,000 dollars once you complete. They also pay for books.

I am so tempted, since I transitioned into a profit center and work in finance and supply chain I think it makes a lot of sense.

Thoughts. I feel weird since I already have the MBA from WGU, but a top 25 MBA is a top 25 MBA.

Would you omit the WGU MBA if/when I completed the other one? Not sure how that works.

Comments

• Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    1. Cool since they will pay for it.
    2. You tend to leave jobs pretty fast, did you check the commitment requirements if you leave early. 140K is a lot to pay back.
    3. What are you goals for the MBA? Move up in this company, or the networks, or just another MBA?
    4. Its a very great opportunity to get a shot at a top 25 MBA, its a great tool to have your bag. Ensure you know how to use it.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    I leave crappy jobs fast, but good ones I like to stay at. This is a very large company and now I am on the business side which for me makes a lot more sense. The growth potential here is tremendous. Especially working in a profit center. Our team generates a lot of revenue for the company, number 2 too sales.

Upon completion you have to stay for 2 years.

I'm already a senior business analyst, next step would be a 1st line manager. Supply Chain Manager, Procurement Manager something to that effect.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Have you checked with the school to see if you can do the second MBA? I know I've read that some top schools will not allow a student to do a second MBA.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    That is a astute and sad point. I better check with the school, that is really depressing. I will be so pissed, I'll go for an MIM if I have too. I don't want to pass up on free education and in this company having a top 25 masters is the key to unlock many doors.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Going back to shodown's point, I would make sure that this is a job you really want to stick with for 4 years (2 for the MBA and 2 after completion). Since it's a new job, it's still the honeymoon phase so things can drastically change. My recommendation would be to get your bearings and let the new job sink in for awhile before making any big commitments like a $140,000 MBA.

I could be wrong but I get the sense that you're still trying to figure out what direction you're trying to go and where you want to live from your other posts. Based on your posts in the last couple of months, you left a job that wasn't going where you wanted it to go, got another job then declined it for another job, thought about moving to Colorado, thought about recrafting your resume for a sales engineer role, and was thinking about working for Fortune 500 vs government jobs. Nothing wrong with that - everyone is entitled to figure out what they want to do with their career and life - but based on all the various options you've been considering and how new the job is, I wouldn't make any long term commitments until you're absolutely sure without a shadow of a doubt of what you want to do.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Iris such a good voice of reason.

Good point and Sho.

I'm focused on delivering and everything hopefully will take care of itself. I am in a better place now a lot of what I was going through was due to some personal things as well. My last position was a dead in job and the other ones I had in the last 5 years or so have been pure consultanting. Not exactly the most loyal type of environment.

I'm done hopping for a while but I agree hit the breaks and just keep banging out deliverables.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It really depends on what size/type of company you want to work for. I work for a small(ish) company and two MBA's would not earn you any extra scratch. At a bigger company, it would be valued higher. Once you have 10+ years of experience I personally would not get any further college education.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    N2IT wrote: »
    That is a astute and sad point. I better check with the school, that is really depressing. I will be so pissed, I'll go for an MIM if I have too. I don't want to pass up on free education and in this company having a top 25 masters is the key to unlock many doors.

Yea not fair but that's what I've heard. I have been working in the finance sector for over 8 years and had thought about transitioning over into a finance role (part of the reason I got my BSBA) so I frequent finance sites and one of the common things I've read is when you go for your MBA to make it count because you can't (not legally but more of an unwritten rule) get two MBAs. Apparently this is more common with the top schools.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Yea not fair but that's what I've heard. I have been working in the finance sector for over 8 years and had thought about transitioning over into a finance role (part of the reason I got my BSBA) so I frequent finance sites and one of the common things I've read is when you go for your MBA to make it count because you can't (not legally but more of an unwritten rule) get two MBAs. Apparently this is more common with the top schools.

i think it makes sense though why schools would not want to admit a student who already has an MBA. The core classes are the same for the most part, its just the concentration(major) that differs..now while one school will probably have a better program than another the classes will not be too much different overall. Now if we're talking about getting a master's, then thats different....you have all sorts of majors....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    First off can you even get admitted to a Top 25 school? You are looking at a 680 GMAT with a 3.4 GPA (depending on your Bachelors type and school brand).

Also, you don't have to declare your first MBA, schools check for declared degrees not un-declared degrees.... before I get flamed, I'm just sayin.....
  • Options
    Philz you are fine.

You forget that I mentioned above the relationship between school and corporation. I mention there is a partnership formed so the executive path doesn't require a GMAT, since I am already in a business professional career field. This requires a sponsor such as a multiple billion dollar organization.

@ Bradley - Precisely. After additional research I would rather deep dive into a master program rather than another general business degree.

They offer 4 different STEM focused master degrees that deep dive into one particular business discipline. It's a pretty neat course design. I always felt deep diving has fared well for me, rather than an inch deep and mile wide approach.

Since I am in a finance/supply chain BU I plan on looking into the supply chain masters. I am just looking though, there are a few others that make a lot of sense.

Bottom line it's free money if you leverage it correctly. Last thing I want to do is be in year 4 then decide to pull the trigger. I'll wait at least 3 - 6 months and decide then.

I've never been an FTE for a fortune 100 much less a fortune 20 company before. It's a great place to be and I going to have fun in this role. All the other roles I have had are either contract or small business. Neither of which I felt much of to be honest. I knew the hiring manager for this position and was brought in due to our relationship. No way I get this opportunity without her.

This was 50% ability and skills and 50% who I knew.
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    Will you be paid your normal salary while doing this? I'm assuming not, in which case you have to consider the lost income as well.
  • Options
    RaisinRaisin Member Posts: 136
    Last time I checked WGU didn't have AACSB accreditation. Which probably isn't a big deal for most people. but if you're looking to go the executive route it might be worth getting an accredited MBA.
  • Options
    Raisin good point and it's true. It hasn't come up but you never know.

I did find out they allow specialization programs as well. Villanova certificate programs come to mind. Things like that qualify for the financial reimbursement. So, you wouldn't have to go crazy and get a full blown masters and still strengthen your skill sets.

Pretty cool stuff.....
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Fantastic opportunity. Definitely check if the school will allow you in with an MBA already in your hand. If not, check out Open University's MBA program. They seem pretty liberal in their acceptance policy and they are one of only sixty or so universities in the world with triple accreditation (AMBA, EQUIS, and AACSB plus regional accreditation in the US). I am guessing that a Fortune 20 company would be happy to pay for someone to go to a school with international accreditation. Just a thought.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Just outta curiosity, what are ya'lls thoughts on how useful and MBA is for someone who has a business undergrad? I am working towards a triple masters in IA, IS, and Analytics right now. I've run a $40M P&L with 25 FTE's and I've run a multi-region sales team. Right now I manage all the technology partners for a Fortune 100 company.

-Phil
  • Options
    @ Philz - If your organization is willing to pay for it and you have the time it would help. However you have a lot on your plate so I would assume at the conclusion of your "masters" this would take place.

@ Stryder thanks for the recommendation I really do appreciate it.

Personally for me the only thing left IMO is some serious quality on my resume to make it pop and of course to learn from some of the best instructors in the world.

My close friend graduated from the University I mentioned in the OP and one of his instructors actually drafted the Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act. That IMO is completely fascinating that you are learning from some of the worlds most accomplished professionals. I was reviewing the education and experiences of some of these instructors and it's nothing short of mind blowing. Some of the professors are former executives for large organizations.

Back when I was working towards my bachelors degree I took a history summer course at this University to make up for a poor semester. I had the best instructor and class I have ever have experienced in my college career. I don't normally like history but his delivery and knowledge was superior.

It does make a difference there is no question about it.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    You will learn a lot, the degree won't hurt you. 4 yrs experience at this organisation won't hurt your resume either. I don't see the negatives here!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com