Options

Change in career paths...any advice greatly appreciated!

hungrypigeon612hungrypigeon612 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone...new to the forums here.

I'm 24 years old and graduated from a University with a BA in Sociology a couple years ago. I wanted to get into the IT field so I enrolled into my local community college...they have a 3 semester program in which you can attain a certificate of computer information systems. I just started my 2nd semester and am just realizing from viewing the techexam forums that this may be a useless endeavor. I am currently studying for my A+ cert and MCITP 70-680 exam. I work as a server full-time at a restaurant to get by, so time is definitely an issue.

I am starting to think that dropping out of my classes and focusing all my efforts into studying for my certs would be a better idea, considering that I already have a BA. The program I am in isn't even for an associates so I feel pretty defeated at the moment. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to the forums!

It's hard to say if the program will be a waste. Having a degree already I don't think you need to worry so much about the credentials but you need to make sure you are actually learning something. I am currently working on my associates and I can tell you I learn more on my own then from the school. However for me the piece of paper is still worth it.

If you are the type of person that learns better in a classroom where you block off time to participate and learn as a group you might want to stick with the program. If your good at learning on your own then I think a certification and your degree should certainly open up some entry level positions.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Having the BS (even in an unrelated field) is not going to hold you back.

The program you are in now may or may not be a waste...depending on what you have invested already. If you are over 3/4's of the way into it just finish it off. If your halfway, I would spend some time thinking about it. Even com. colleges are pricey. That money could cover certifications and study materials.

I work 50 hours a week, go to school full time and have a wife and child while working on the CCNA. Its hard, no doubt. But it can be done. Its also slow goings...but if this is what you want, then that's it...just go do it.

I would also start looking for entry level jobs; helpdesk, desktop support, etc...Dell hires contracted "field services" (aka desktop support) techs and only requires an A+ and social skills. Pay is decent. They hire through Apex systems, PFI and another contracting company. If your near a client of theirs, its worth a shot to contact them about employment.