Options

Time for a change

BytezBytez Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I've been working in a 1st/2nd line support position for the last 3.5 years. It was my first real job since leaving college and I've learned a ton of stuff from IT Support, Telecoms and Infrastructure but I feel it's time to move on. The position itself isn't as technical as some other '1st/2nd' line positions that I've been to interview for.

I've come across an opportunity 'Network Operations Apprentice Technician', it's a fixed term contract for 3 years with the option of studying an IT course at the local college once a week. The pay is around $14k, at the moment I'm on $22k. So it is a fair drop but something I could live with for 3 years at most.

The position involves some of the following:
1. Assist with the installation and maintenance of the University's network hardware/software and associated infrastructure.
2. Help ensure hardware and software is installed and kept safe and secure, taking note of health and safety issues and disposed of safely and in accordance with relevant legislation and University policies.
3. Assist with first line support using the department's service desk software together with the diagnosis and resolution of network faults, anywhere in the University according to agreed guidelines/SLDs.
4. Contribute to the production and maintenance of relevant documentation, including network diagrams and procedures.
5. As directed, to assist with fibre and copper network cabling anywhere in the University.
6. Help ensure all cables are correctly labelled and to maintain an accurate and current record of this information.

Career wise I'm looking to go into the Network/Security field, I'm currently studying for the CompTIA N+ which will be followed by the CCENT and then all being well CCNA. I'm doing some reading and labbing on Server 2008/2012 too.

I wouldn't mind opinions from the experienced peeps on TEs on the above move that I'm considering

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    Not sure about your location but I wouldn't take a pay cut for that position. In fact I would be looking for a raise and a job with more responsibilities.

Once you have your CCNA you can look to get a job in a NOC.
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't know where you live, but $14,000/year is barely over minimum here and with your experience/certs I feel like you could get a job with more responsibilities AND more pay if you so desired. But, if I'm forced to pick between the two, I wouldn't take a paycut that steep even if it was slightly better experience. To each their own, but I think there's better opportunities out there for you and would suggest to keep looking.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I wouldnt take the position. In IT its important that you always increase your skills, knowledge and certs. Especially early on. You have been there for 3.5 years. If you arent increasing your knowledge or skills at work you really need to do so on your own. Build a home lab, and start working on them. And get your CCNA. Then, find another position where you can increase your skill set. You should be able to find something above 14k.
  • Options
    user25379082user25379082 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @Bytez

I would outline how long it takes to have enough credentials to apply for a more attractive position. Focus on either server or network certifications. Then, counterbalance those months or years with your daily dissatisfaction. Profit.

It apprears to me that you're in a pretty good position. You're familiar with the infrastructure and the support tools.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    14k? not sure what job market you are in but that is terrible. Look for something else. Start working on the certs / education for the next job you would like to have.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    It looks to me as though the OP has an opportunity to have some schooling paid for. So, while the pay sounds light, it may simply be part of the package. It may not be bad overall.

The question is, how much would the same type of schooling cost you out-of-pocket if you were to pay it on your own? That amount plus your wages, less any time off from work, would tell you if it is a fair deal or not. If you can attend night school, or online school without missing work, you would not need to factor that in, unless you want to consider the time away from friends and family.

Myself, I do not consider time away from friends and family to gain an education a long-term issue and therefore for me, it doesn't carry much weight in my consideration. Yes, it is time missed, but if a better job is on the horizon, the sacrifice is usually worth it.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    arrogantbastardarrogantbastard Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I feel like its reckless for people to tell you to commit to a THREE year contract for $14k just to get some more experience. By then you'll have over six years of it experience and still be relatively entry level. I would be very cautious committing three years to a job, especially one that puts you far below poverty level when you're already experienced.
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    UNNECESSARY QUOTE REMOVED

I agree with the above,

Not bragging but, I went up 90k in 5 years in a down market, I think what you are getting offered is a reallllllllly baaaad deal....
  • Options
    tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    I agree with all comments above and I thank philz for breaking the ice. The poverty threshold for 48 states and the district of Columbia for 2014 is $11,670 annually for a single person. They're paying you table scraps for three years for what? It sounds like they're looking to get some cheap labor and exploit it. Also take the federal minimum wage and times it by 2080 to get $15,080, which is what someone make before taxes working 40 hours a week on minimum wage---more than what they're offering you. I would be insulted if I was offered that wage.

I have have barely three years of experience and make close to five times that in a relatively low cost of living area. I don't know where you live but the lowest paid help desk person I've came across so far was making $15, heck even Geeksquad gets like $12 - $13. You're worth a lot more and I wouldn't bargain for less.
  • Options
    @=Plantwiz

Sorry but I can go to a community college and get an AS for 83 dollars a course. I was making 100k without a degree and no certs. So I don't buy into this you need a degree/cert crap. You need to know people, be able to learn, and be willing to move to where the jobs are at.

I'm just gonna say it.. unless your flipping burgers 14k a year is crap.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would never take that hit if I could help it. Sorry just too much of a margin decrease. But we all have free will and it's YOUR choice.

29,120 from 45,760, that's a 16640 k hit annual. Assuming you get paid 52 weeks a year at 40 hours a week.

Just a shameless plug for community college. I think they are the best thing in the world.
    • Very affordable like Philz mentioned
    • Gives you a chance to transition from high school to college
    • Gives you a second chance to get your grades up if you performed poorly in high school (which can lead to a scholarship program with a 2 + 2 if you do well for you associates).
    • Aligns with brick and mortars in the area sometimes which goes back to the 2 + 2.
    • Gets you socializing and get to know other students. Instructors sometimes work at other places, they can get you hired on. In one of my database courses at the CC our teacher referred a student to the app dev team, they were hired. Really cool to see the graditude from the student to the instructor
    • You don't have massive debt usually after graduation. You can think about securing a degree and job and not worry about massive debt. That is BIG. I just recently paid my bachelors off at the rip ole age of 37.
    • You can get an associates degree which DOES mean something and you can go straight to work from there. At our local community college I know several students who went from working as cashiers (for example) to the community college to get an AA in computer science / programming and went on to land good jobs, ~50,000 per year at age 20 out of the CC. That's not bad at all.
    In fact I have already encouraged my kids to think about the community college (they are young) but wanted to plant that seed in their head.
  • Options
    UNNECESSARY QUOTE REMOVED

Hellz ya, CC are the bomb.... I've gotten some good programming classes at $80 a pop...
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Boys and girls,

Kindly keep in mind that our forum attracts folks from all over the world. Likewise, even if a number of the members are from the US, not all states pay similarly and therefore take care on knee-jerk reactions to wages. I suspect the OP is from outside the US and $22K to a wage of $14K plus schooling is pretty normal.

As far as CC classes being offered for $80, that is nice, but it is not all over like that. At one time our local CC offered classes around $150, and I recall CA had a sweet deal whereby local residents could attend for free...but things have changed.

However, it is helpful to remind members when you have a deal in your area that they too should look into their own area for similar offerings, just keep in mind, whatever exists in your little utopia, may not be available for everyone some place else.

Point is, I suspect the OP is from OUTSIDE the US. It would be best to hear back before jumping to further conclusions.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    BytezBytez Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the feedback, it's always interesting to see what others in the same field think.

I'm based in the UK so it may be a little different. I'll be honest and say I don't know of anyone who has dropped from $22k to $14k plus schooling.
    The reason for considering this move was because in the interviews I've been for, the interview goes well but I miss out of the position because I don't enough technical experience. The positions I've been to interview for are mainly 2nd Line. So maybe out of desperation I've considered dropping my salary to get more experience?

I would probably need to apply for the role and ask more questions in the interview as I wouldn't be comfortable being on $14k for three years.

My current employer use bespoke systems so about 60% of my day to day is working with their software and the other 30% is dealing with Win7, Citrix, Sage, hardware, ect.

I am in the process of setting up an ESXi server so I can get hands on with Server2012, VMWare, Citrix.

Hope this clears up a few things!
  • Options
    arrogantbastardarrogantbastard Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Read read read. I have always had such a hard time reading and retaining what I read, but now whenever I get a chance before bed, at work, on the weekends, etc. I'm studying to improve my technical knowledge and so far it has payed off in my career. The only problem I have now is not having enough time to study all the topics I want to and prioritizing what I want to learn now and what to learn later. You are lucky enough to have a stable job so utilize your time to study and constantly apply to higher jobs, eventually some one will take a chance on you. Also, make sure your professional skills are tuned too such as interviewing and resume.