Options

Hire InfoSec Professionals or Security Certifications?

Good short article I've never seen before.

Hire InfoSec Professionals or Security Certifications?

Comments

• Options
    CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    That is a common sense, if you are in the IT industry for awhile you will see these stuffs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Good luck getting the 3rd group (those who disdain security certs, and those who hold them) to sign up for the certs to increase their value and relevancy. Don't see that happening anytime soon.

The ones who will effect change are the 2nd group, who obtain certs, then 'perform well in the trenches.' They are the ones who really (over)value their certs, and it is up to them to show that they have value, not others.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    I've done a fair amount of recruitment efforts. A lot of time the final mix of applicants that ultimately gets interviewed will have a mix of certs, no certs, degrees, no degrees and of course experience, however more often then not the certified individuals usually have better resumes and performed well in interviews. For instance, if we thinned by CISSP, we'd have few applicants. Understand that a majority of IT folks don't have any certifications at all and cling to stuff like "Working on CISSP" or "Studying" etc to get passed these filters, which annoys me greatly. The only time you should put CISSP on your resume when you aren't is if you're an "Associate of ISC(2) working towards CISSP" and even that's a grey area.

Based on what i've seen recently, folks who are degree, certified, have a bit of relevant experience and can piece together a good resume can rise to the top of the pile quickly.
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    I like to give people 1 hour to learn something completely unrelated to the job at hand and then report back. So much of this industry is being able to learn on the fly and consume and apply knowledge. Core knowledge is core knowledge the rest is flexible.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Google it! I can haz Google! :bunny:
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Threads like these give me motivation to stop lazying and start with the CISSP. Thanks Guys!!!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com