Options

Completely Brand new to certifications

mkramer777mkramer777 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have about 7 years of "jack of all trades" Network admin experience. Want to get some certifications. Was wondering what would be the easiest and quickest certifications to get. Would it be Network+, Server+ or MS Windows Server 2008 (which is what I'm using now) and take the 3 tests to get certified?

Comments

• Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Network+ should be pretty easy for you with your experience. Windows Server 2008 (assuming you are referring to the three-exam MCSA) is much more difficult than Network+, but if you want to expand your credentials in server administration, I'd recommend pursuing the MCSA and MCSE. If you would prefer to work on the networking side - routers, switches, etc - I'd recommend pursuing the Cisco, Brocade, or Juniper certifications that correspond to the equipment you work with.

Net+ is probably the fastest and easiest certification to get but you may not find that it gives you a lot of return on your investment.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Welcome aboard. Easiest and quickest id not necessarily the best path. First questions you need to answer is where do you want to go and why are you looking at certs. Are you looking to validate knowledge? Want to leverage them for better salary? Perhaps position yourself for a better/different job? Once you answer those we can recommend stuff.
  • Options
    KrusaderKrusader Member Posts: 109
    Study for the job you want not the job you have.
    If you have 7 years networking experience you should be looking at obtaining the CCNP R&S or the Juniper/HP/Brocade equivalent.
    If you work with mostly servers than a MCSA/MCSE or RHCSA\RHCE would be good
    For Virtualisation than the VCP from VMware is the way to go.
    2018 Goals
    AWS & Linux Knowledge
  • Options
    I am looking at another position that is basically the same thing I am doing now. IT everything guy with no specific discipline. Don't have any idea what certs they would be looking for. Business is not off the ground yet. I need to know if coming in with Network+, Security+, and Server+ would be better or worse than taking the 3 MCSA exams for server 2008/12. I guess I want a business to see that I know my stuff because of the certs. I'm sure my experience will probably trump all of the certs anyway.
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't waste time on Comptia unless you're doing government work. Do MCSA and CCNA then VCP and maybe EMCISA and you'll be good.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    any other opinions on this? Is it just me or do the comtia certs just tell the why on things and the microsoft certs actually are the hands on doing stuff certs?
  • Options
    Also. Is the microsoft MTA exam 98-366 somewhat like Network+
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, with that sort of experience, the only Comptia Cert that will make sense is the Security+ and or the CASP. The Server+ only makes sense if you're doing warranty work for Dell, HP, or Lenovo (since this is a basic requirement for supporting their devices).

If you're a MS shop, I would just move forward with MCSE 2012.