Options

WGU - M.S. Information Security and Assurance for Senior Software Developer

a100a100 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I am Senior Software Developer and have been developing web applications mainly on ASP.NET platform since +12 years. I am really good at online/self learning.

I need MS degree and I am really interested doing M.S. Information Security and Assurance with wgu.edu university even though it is not very related to software development. Is this MS mostly at networking side and really hard for Software Developer or with hard study easily achievable for Software Developers also?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    I'm 3/4's of the way through this. Isn't terrible difficult to learn if you don't know it, takes time of course to study and learn.
    This program might have some requirements for security experience before you can start it, might want to look in to that.
    You don't say why you need a MS but IMO, you're prob better off with a more general IT management/MBA degree.
  • Options
    Thank you for the reply BGraves.

I need some Master but I am not interested in management but at technical side. My next career step is technical/application architect.
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Have you thought about a masters of computer science? I think that would more suited to what little information you have provided.
  • Options
    WGU does not have masters of computer science and so I have chosen this MS in Information Security and Assurance.

As I asked in the first post, please let me know if you think this is easily achievable with hard work to software developers also.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Is it achievable? Absolutely! Is it easy? No one can answer that as we have no idea of your background and dedication towards the degree. I am in the program and find it stupidly easy because of my security background. I can only imagine it may involve more work for someone who isn't a seasoned Infosec pro. Yo could have all the desire on the world to do this and could put 80 hours per week bu that doesn't guarantee you will absorb the material and complete the required work.

Have you looked at the MSISA PDF guide? This should give you a better insight into twhat each course involves. This is not a networking heavy program by any means. It does assume that you either understand networking basics or can gain this knowledge. All you really need if CISSP level networking understanding: an inch deep and a mile wide.