Options

Boson & studying for CCNA

prettyby77prettyby77 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I read these forums as a lurker, but this is my first post so as to assist anyone else out there studying for the 200-120 CCNA.

I've been a Network Engineer since 2006 working on Cisco equipment through various jobs and I have an 1841/2960/ASA setup at home. I didn't have the need to get my CCNA over the years until my current employer offered to cover costs.

For studying I started with Lammle's book, which was very straightforward. Then moved onto CBT Nuggets, which was awesome for subnetting since that was my Achilles heel initially. After studying those, I felt that my knowledge was solid and that I just needed to get ready for the "test" if you will so I purchased Boson's 200-120 CCNA to get a real world feel of the test and the environment. At the first onset of using Boson, I was scoring around 570-600's. Mind you, I scored easily on Todd's sample questions in his book, thus I was really surprised by my initial scores in Boson. I buttoned up on the Frame Relay questions and sims, while also working on my other weaknesses (which were mainly nuances in the answers, versus not actually knowing the material). Once I figured out all the testing nuances in Boson I was easily scoring 800's randomizing all of the 200-120 CCNA tests in Boson. In addition, I would answer all the questions first without looking at the answers to ensure that I "knew" the material versus just memorizing the answers. Also, I utilized "simulation" mode over "study" mode in Boson once my scores were consistently above 800. I used Boson for 2 straight months and saved well over 15 exams that I scored over 800 but would still go over the wrong answers just to make sure I could shoot for 1000 in the real exam and be cool.

WHY DID I SCORE 698 ON THE REAL THING???!!! This goes to show that the comments in this forum in regards to passing Boson exams and your cool are wildly inaccurate, at least for 200-120. Some of the simulations varied tremendously to where I spent some time trying to figure out the darn sim in the real test and how it worked versus working through the answer. Then there was an ACL sim that completely threw me for a loop because the commands just didn't work as to the ones studied in Boson. Was IPV6 in there along with GLBP and EIGRP, yes it was. Testing areas like OSPF were almost non-existent IMHO. Overall, I felt that the Boson exams were somewhat close in comparison, but not a true representation of what the real 200-120 CCNA is like testing-wise and how the material is presented to the test taker.

Finally, it certainly did not help that the dry erase marker DRIED UP during the test so that I couldn't write notes on the supplied laminated sheet!

I will surely be taking up Boson on their no-pass guarantee....

Comments

• Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First off, you're in the enviable position I want to be in. You never know what you got wrong on the real Cisco exam--you could have read the question wrong, forgot that there is three answers etc etc. Yeah there is a lot of opinions on Boson, but mine sez that it is the best out there.. And I'll say this again--when I did CCENT, I swear there were a couple that were exactly like Boson. When I did CCENT I was sure I knew all the answers. But today I am hittling STP because my old Cisco Netacad material brought up spanning tree port priority to change a blocking port into a forwarding port. None of my current studying materials ( Lammle, Graziani, Odom, and Valentine) have brought this issue up and I'm worried that this could be on the icnd2. So re cover all your bases.
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would not stress over it. Certification tests can be a bit tricky. I just passed to the ICND2 test and I was sweating it out till the last two minutes. There were a good number of questions that I had to take my best guess between the two I narrowed it down to. That blew my confidence midway through the test.

Now that you know what to expect you can make a few practice labs to try to simulate what they gave you. Review your weak points and go for it again.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    spiritamokkspiritamokk Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dude.. CCNA exam is NOT for KNOWLEDGE. Its money making thing. Do yourself a favor - learn ACTUAL exam questions. Get **** from 9 t u t .com (sims are also available there) or e x a m c o l l e c t i o n. I can't believe than someone would go for CCNA with BOSON and Lammle's book up his sleeve. Jee.. If you have your Cisco knowledge from experience in the field, you have nothing to lose. Just cram questions and pass CCNA. = PROFIT
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    prettyby77 wrote: »

Finally, it certainly did not help that the dry erase marker DRIED UP during the test so that I couldn't write notes on the supplied laminated sheet!

I will surely be taking up Boson on their no-pass guarantee....

The place I tested at offered me a second marker when I asked for a second dry erase board. If they have extras, ask for them...even push it if they say no. I know having 2-3 dry erase boards to scribble on during a test like this would help.