Options

Can i put this on resume?

monorionmonorion Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello all,

So here's my story, i started a new job the end of May and due to unfortunate events the company might be closing soon. is there anything i can put on my resume that will let an employer know the company closed? if i put for example may 2014 to septermber 2014 I feel that it will look like I left the job or got laid off, i dont want an employeer to think that I did a bad job and got let go or anything like that.

Is this okay to include company closed on the resume?

Thank you all

Comments

• Options
    tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    Uh.....

No, this isn't even an issue. I've had several jobs some contract positions that ended early and some long term jobs that I left even before working there for a year because things weren't working out. Most companies don't assume that you're a bad employee if you've only been there for a short amount of time. Companies will also completely understand if you tell them that the company you worked for closed doors.

None of this is harm against you, it's not really in your control and I wouldn't put anything on your resume that said the company closed. Doing so would make you look very foolish.

When companies ask why I worked at so many places for short amounts of times I tell them the truth and it's no problem. Whether it was a contract, or just not the right fit I wouldn't worry about it at all.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    A. Getting laid off is nothing you can prevent (strictly means no money to support your position)...different than fired.

B. Do not put anything unless it has publicly been announced, actually closed, or you have the go ahead from HR. That could turn into a major legal battle and I would personally get the approval in writing or email.

You can put the company down either way though.
  • Options
    monorionmonorion Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys Really appreciate it. you guys make very valid points.

Thank you!!
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I went through sort of the same thing. My company relocated and I had to find work again in a short amount of time.

You will get asked in an interview "What happened at company XYZ" just tell them the truth and I always had the interviewer after that point never ask any more about it.
  • Options
    user25379082user25379082 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @TechGuru80

I disagree with Getting laid off is nothing you can prevent. If there are only mediocre employees who do not work on their skills, then it is their failure too. Nobody just walks in and out. Everyone is responsible for performance. I've seen workers almost beat up someone because the machines stood still, although everyone was paid per day.

@monorion

To mention that company won't put you in a unpleasant position, if you're not related to the closure. To give you a colorful example: If a restaurant was closed due to hygiene issues, then you shouldn't boast to have been the head cook.