Options

Hello I am new here, this is my first post, I want to pursue a career in network but

eugene_86eugene_86 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
But I have 2 DUIs and therefore a criminal record and I live in Canada province Quebec, how hard will it be for me to find a job if i get CCNA ceritfied, I have high school diploma but I have a terrible academic record in college, I dropped out of computer science, and failed many times. I would not be able to get back into computer science unless I did 3 semesters of paid courses to improve my academic record. What if I just got my CCNA certification and put that on my resume with no previous experience in the field, would I be able to get a job as a Desktop Technical Support even with a DUI? My goals are to obtain CCNP, a few MCSA certs and keep on getting certifications to someday become a Network Engineer. My background in computers is, I am fairly comfortable with Microsoft, Linux, command-line, Macs, routers, wireshark.

Comments

• Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Well it will certainly be harder but not impossible. You could always network and start your own company... Certifications are not the answer necessarily, it really comes down to getting your foot in the door somewhere that is not related to security clearances. Of course, like I said if you start your own company than you determine how much work you get...
  • Options
    Thank you for a prompt response, and I apologize for not having used the search button as my question has already been partially answered in the forum. I have always wanted to be my own boss, so I like the idea, but I feel like I have a better chance of getting my foot in by getting cert after cert after cert until someone gives me a chance, if I don't get in with a CCNA then surely someone will take me on a desktop support job with a CCNP, right? I am 28 and I can see my goal crystal clear, CCIE certified before 36. Although as I am saying this I wonder what a CCIE exam would look like in 2022.
  • Options
    Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    Hey eugene_86,

It's great to see your ambition even with with your situation. I would agree with getting your feet wet first and grabbing a few entry level certs to really sell yourself. Sure, it might look bad because of your DUI's, but that doesn't mean that you have 0% chance of getting a job.

If I were you, I would start off with CompTIA or some of the Microsoft MTA's to really pick up the foundation level knowledge. The Network+ will also prepare you a bit when you move into Cisco technologies and the CCNA in particular.

Best of luck with whatever you decide though, you can always turn something like this into your favor, just with enough effort on your end.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well, a CCNP isn't really valuable at all for most desktop support positions, so I wouldn't really say it would be that helpful. Think about the Cisco track itself, does it cover anything related to desktop support? Especially without any prior experience. A record, no degree and no experience is going to be very difficult to say the least, not impossible, but you'll need to really network a lot.
    I'd focus on getting something on your resume, even volunteer IT work if you can. Try to get into some local user groups, make friends, you'll do a lot better with personal recommendations of someone saying, "listen, this guy has a messy background but he's my friend and he's a hard worker and he'll bust his rear" vs just applying blindly without any experience and hoping they randomly pick you.
  • Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a DUI and all it didn't hinder me one bit. I do feel embarrassed by it, but **** happens. So far anyone that has asked about it, didn't really care. The only thing I would recommend would be to go after your certs and learn as much as you can. Kill the interviews you and nobody would even question it.
  • Options
    Justin-, Danielm7, snunez889, philz1982, Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my post, for all your advice and support, I needed that.
  • Options
    Define, better chance? If you have nothing right now, and you try to work for yourself and fail, then what do you have at the end? Nothing... Thus you're at a net-zero, no risk, no loss. However if you succeed you have a chance to have wealth limited only by your effort.

Now if you go the business route, you get a $13/hr helpdesk job and each time you try to break into the 100k range someone throws your DUI into your face....

Those are my thoughts..
  • Options
    Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    The bigger the corp, the higher the chance your resume will be blacklisted. Though, in the end we in the IT field should care about the experience and our skillset. You should be able to find work in startups. When I was in the US I worked for a startup MSP and after the interview they straight away hired me, no background checks or anything.

If all else fails, just move to a developing nation where your skillset will be highly valued and nobody there will care about your DUI's.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Like everything else in life you have to look at the big picture.

Consider how far you will get if you don't try at all.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    Wow thank you all for taking the time to read about my problems, for your advice and support.
  • Options
    For now I will wait for a response from a Net Academy that I applied to in Montreal, tuition free, 1 year intensive with an internship at the end, but only 22 will get in out of 100+ applicants. I wrote a logic aptitude test for them on Friday, I am not getting my hopes up, most applicants will have masters and bachelors in Computer Science and are probably already working in the field, so I can't compete with that. My father told me the same thing you said philz1982, I have some ideas about how I can start my own business but I feel overwhelmed just by the thought of it. I feel like I should just quit my 9-5 minimum wage job and hit the books hard while my parents still allow me to live with them, get a few certs and then see where I can go from there. I am really discouraged by what Params7 said about being blacklisted, but if I do go the business route and by the time I am ready for 100k position which realistically probably will not be until 8 or 9 years from now, isn't 8 years enough time where I can ask for a pardon or they just simply will not look that far back?
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Hello Eugene,
    I live in Montreal, Quebec and I can tell you that most of the higher positions here in the network/IT business will ask for a background check and credit check. The IT world here is not as big as in Toronto and it's a lot about trust. You will most likely get black listed quickly from all higher positions if they learn you have a criminal record. I don't blame them, why would a firm trust someone with their sensitive data and money if that person can't even respect the law?

This said, it does not mean that you have to give up and die. I would try to get certified in broader certs like LINUX, NETWORK+ and A+. Get a helpdesk position in a big company and move up the ladder internally. In Quebec, Network positions are very rarely given to people with no experience regardless of your criminal record.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    I have no idea how Canada handles DUIs and how long something is on your record. In the US if you have something on your record, it's on there, it isn't like a credit report where items fall off after 7 years or so.

I'm not familiar with the net academy out there, but it wouldn't make a lot of sense for most of the people that apply to already have a BS in CS, a masters degree and working in the field, to then want to leave all that and do a year of training and an internship. Why anyone would leave a job in IT for a chance for an internship in IT seems silly to me, but like I said, maybe the academy up there is really different.

Also, not to be mr negative today, I'm really not. But, I'd take suggestions of starting your own business with a bit of a grain of salt. Do you have the experience to run a computer business? Do you have the connections to get customers? How about experience selling and with bookkeeping, etc? There is a lot involved in starting a real business, I've done it, so have lots of other people. It isn't really the best option for someone without any experience who just wants to avoid having to explain a DUI.

I still think, try to get some volunteer IT experience if you can, start studying, learn everything you can. Try to connect to people locally, maybe meetup groups or something? Start putting yourself out there. Without experience, certs or education you don't have a lot of offer right now vs anyone else off the street, so you need to find ways to differentiate yourself. If you can do that then it gets a lot easier for companies to try to look past some things.

Like I said, not trying to be negative, just honest, breaking into IT can be difficult without having a potential red flag in your background. When you do maybe self study a ton, pass the A+, Net+, etc, then I'd personally check out some smaller businesses. I once was hired by a startup that ended up becoming huge, without even a resume, so it is possible, just a bit more rare.
  • Options
    On the bright side it seems like it can only get better from where I am at now, if I could land a level 1 help desk job and work my way up to level 3, I would be very happy. I will take your advice and start off with the foundation certs, I will join computer related group meetups and make friends, and I will volunteer. Also, if I do get CCNA and CCNP, will they be recognized in my country of origin, Russia?
  • Options
    Why do you want a help desk role? What is drawing you to the Cisco certs? Just curious as there are so many branches in IT.
  • Options
    I want a help desk role to get some experience, and it seems like CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Microsoft technical and Cisco certifications will help me enter IT. Once I am in, I would like to focus on network administration instead of hardware and operating systems and work on getting CCNP.

I just scheduled an A+ exam, how important is it to get the highest score possible? Will potential employers ask me what I scored on my exams?
  • Options
    eugene_86 wrote: »
    I just scheduled an A+ exam, how important is it to get the highest score possible? Will potential employers ask me what I scored on my exams?

No. Are you prepared for the exam? I know everyone says its entry level but it still a lot of material if you don't know it.
  • Options
    I know half, I am reading CompTIA A+ Ceritfication All-In-One Exam Guide 8th edition.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What makes you think that after failing out of school you will be disciplined enough to get a CCNP? Has something changed? Understand, that you will need to be focused and work hard. Especially with the DUI because those entry level positions are where people will judge you regarding that the most.

So short term. Get a job. Any job. Dont wait to hear back from that academy. Send out resumes. lots of them and find an entry level job. FOr whatever the pay. Build your skills and get a few certs. Then find a new position where you can get some more experience and skills.
  • Options
    I want an intellectually stimulating career, after being a blue collar worker for many years, I want to work with my brain more than my hands. I am a shipper/receiver at a warehouse, I was hired until October, they might ask me to stay longer but I can refuse. Would it be a good idea to work for Best Buy in the computer department, or should I just work on my certs and look for a junior system administrator or help desk job while doing volunteer work?
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    eugene_86 wrote: »
    I want an intellectually stimulating career, after being a blue collar worker for many years, I want to work with my brain more than my hands. I am a shipper/receiver at a warehouse, I was hired until October, they might ask me to stay longer but I can refuse. Would it be a good idea to work for Best Buy in the computer department, or should I just work on my certs and look for a junior system administrator or help desk job while doing volunteer work?

The sooner you can get some experience the better. Even if its Best buy. You can get certs while working.
  • Options
    Thank you all once again for your responses!