Taking into account your age?

EdificerEdificer Member Posts: 187 ■■■□□□□□□□
Do you take into consideration your age when considering doing Cisco certs?

It kind of has made me thinking recently, I guess for understanding the networking world, age is knowledge, having worked in IT for over 10+ yrs.

This also leads me to another question, how long can you work as a network engineer? Can you really stay here even when you are in the 40s?
I guess this is what my wondering boils down to.
“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” Confucius

Comments

• docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't think age itself really matters unless you're working in or applying for a position within a culture where the staff has age bias of some kind. As long as you can remain relevant and deliver value, you could be a network engineer for a long time as long as the demand for your skills are there. Plenty of people in their 40s are network engineers.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Most network engineers in their 40s and 50s have the experience and are either multiple NPs or an IE.

The cool part is they are senior engineers without the management crap. They help the younger engineers by training and teaching them, you know being the guy to go to for advice on certain issues etc. These guys love what they do without the whole red tape of being in a management position and yet make more than the manager. Why? Because these same senior engineers also advice the manager and management :)

Don't worry about the age, curve that niche for yourself and take some young people under your wing. When i can't figure things out i ask the Senior network engineer.

You can also try teaching. One of my teachers in college works for a certain Routing and & Switching company and teachers a few days a week.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]