Options

CCENT complete!

PupilPupil Member Posts: 168
Sat the exam on Friday afternoon and passed with a 926/1000. Feels incredible! Thanks to this forum for providing tips, study resources, and the motivation to conquer this challenge.

Study Materials:
- Lammle's book is fantastic
- Jeremy's CBT Nuggets CCENT videos are amazing
- tried to read Odom's book, didn't like the writing style of the author
- Labbed using Packet Tracer. Downloaded GNS3 but never got around to using it. No money for hardware or space to put it.

Since I already completed Cisco Networking Academy through college about a year ago, many of the topics on the exam were familiar albeit forgotten. After completing the Linux+, I started studying about 5 weeks ago pretty much daily. I labbed a lot making up scenarios in Packet Tracer using multiple exam objectives. Like I would design networks and implement them using VLSM, use OSPF on the routers, VLANs on the switches, ACLs and NAT, etc. I'd try to do this from memory without notes.

There were a lot of questions on subnetting. You must be able to subnet very quickly. Prior to focusing on this exam, I knew how to subnet, but Lammle's method is by far the best way to go about it. I practiced a lot using subnetting.net until it became a breeze.

Overall the questions were not too bad. It was similar in style to the Cisco Net Academy final exams which I am use to. Not much more difficult than what you'll find in the review sections of Lammle's or Odom's books. It's more important you understand the underlying technologies (how routing, switching, protocols, etc.) work than just memorizing IOS commands. I must've got lucky since I was not asked a single question on IPv6 which was my weak spot. Mid way through I got stuck on the simulation style questions. The user interfaces are atrocious and could use much improvement. But I managed to get through them and still finish the exam 20 minutes early.

Next up: ICND2.

Comments