Options

CEH Exam Eligibility code for the UK

retrokindretrokind Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok,

can someone put it nice and simple for me.

i am UK based do I need a Eligibility code like the US guys or can I just book the test and pay my £300 or so?

Comments

• Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You get the eligibility code from EC Council once they've verified your background experience.

You can still book the test, but the testing center will probably ask you for the eligibility code when you show up for the test.

I'm pretty sure the standards are uniform across the board, regardless of country.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    jvrlopez wrote: »
    You get the eligibility code from EC Council once they've verified your background experience.

You can still book the test, but the testing center will probably ask you for the eligibility code when you show up for the test.

I'm pretty sure the standards are uniform across the board, regardless of country.

So my 6 o so years on 1st/2nd line helpdesk and field engineer work wont be worth Sh*t?

does anyone know for sure anyone from the UK taken this in the UK?
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    retrokind wrote: »
    So my 6 o so years on 1st/2nd line helpdesk and field engineer work wont be worth Sh*t?

does anyone know for sure anyone from the UK taken this in the UK?

"Have at least two years of information security related experience". I seriously doubt the EC Council would consider those two jobs info sec experience.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Again, EC Council needs to verify your experience and provide you an eligibility code once your application is approved. You cannot just go out and register for the test on your own (you can but you will need the code still).
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    jvrlopez wrote: »
    Again, EC Council needs to verify your experience and provide you an eligibility code once your application is approved. You cannot just go out and register for the test on your own (you can but you will need the code still).

well the jobs I want to get into want certifications. so what route do I take what kind of job do i need to get for two years? what security role did you guys get to get the 2 years?

you can see how this can be frustrating
  • Options
    ok so after an email to the ec council and a quick one size fits all bounce back it seem that i need to do the following

1) do you have 2 years exp yes or no you pay $100 for processing you application

2) Training. you pay at least $800 for online training ( where he credibility in that?) and pay the $100 for processing your application

This is what i don’t get, i have the option of paying for online training? so i guess its just a nice little
    money making scheme hiding behind the pretence
    its to filter out the genuine from the script kiddies who have a bit of cash and now after a job

then you pay the $500 for the exam. WHAT THE HELL?!!!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    And there you see why some of us intently dislike EC-Council
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    And there you see why some of us intently dislike EC-Council

Im with you on that.

And I want to take my career/training further not frighten my boss into thinking I am leaving (not that im THAT needed J ) but it will really cause me issues if they get calls (and it seems they will) from the EC council asking questions about my roll and im taking exams

ARRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You could honestly write whatever you wanted in the application. As long as someone backs up what you say, they will approve it.

I'm not saying you should do this, but you could. I didnt take the class, but I documented my infosec experience, and had my prior supervisor approve of it. I was then given the code (Note that I am in the US).
  • Options
    MrAgent wrote: »
    You could honestly write whatever you wanted in the application. As long as someone backs up what you say, they will approve it.

I'm not saying you should do this, but you could. I didnt take the class, but I documented my infosec experience, and had my prior supervisor approve of it. I was then given the code (Note that I am in the US).

Im a little to paranoid for that more to the point the system is a little to money grabbing.
    I can see why some people don’t hold the CEH in very high regards. and why have the word hacker in the title, im getting more convinced it’s just a huge selling tactic why not penetration tester blah blah blah or something like that

Was really getting into the idea and hitting the books, I passed my sccm 2012 a couple of years back and was looking for a new challenge, something a bit more interesting now it all I can think is what do I get apart from an empty wallet and a certificate with the word hacker on it …. How professional that will sound lol
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    pen tester? There's a EC-Council cert for that too! :)
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    SCSI_BEARSCSI_BEAR Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I sat and passed my C|EH in April this year. I too had the agony of going through the process of getting the eligibility code for the exam. I had self studied by reading the C|EH V6 and 7 book and also using some of the CBT nuggets. The eligibility form is not too much of a hassle, I see you have several years of experience doing 1st and 2nd line support, Did you do any MS patching, Vulnerability or otherwise in those 6 years ? Were you required to check IDS logs at all ? IF so you should include that in the form and have your boss verify that in the form, That should be enough for you to get the eligibility code.

A few people who already work in InfoSec did say the C|EH wasn't held in high regard, but that all depends on the employer as well it certainly opened a few opportunities for me anyway and am about to move into a Pen-Testing role in October.

I hope this information helps a little.