Options

IT consultant vs regulat FTE job differences?

So a question for anyone that has worked as both as a consultant at a firm and a regular FTE position for a company. I know the main differences of consultant is ever changing and you deal with a lot of migrations and more technology. My main question is, do you really work a lot more hours? 40+ hours at the job?

Reason I'm asking is I have a potential position on the table as a consultant and I'm not sure I would like to work a constant 50+ hour week. When asking them they say it's standard hours of max 40 per week but I know that is a lie. True the money is a lot better, 30% increase, but is it worth it? Right now I'm FTE working max 40 per week with 0 overtime. Drive time identical.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, I haven't done it. However, I would ask myself do I need the money that badly? Sure extra money is great but are you going to have the time to spend it?
  • Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just doing the arithmetic on it, getting a 30% pay increase but working 52 hours a week is exactly the same hourly wage as your current 40 hour per week job.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just doing the arithmetic on it, getting a 30% pay increase but working 52 hours a week is exactly the same hourly wage as your current 40 hour per week job.
    Well hopefully those 52 hours are billable, so you're getting 12 hours of overtime. :)
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Working at a consultant increased my overall career earnings and skills and let to me opening up my own shop. I work with a lot of people who are career consultants. They hop around from project to project usually staying close to the latest and greatest. The grind of the project depends on whats being implemented and how well its been thought out. When I use to just post a lot on here it means the project was well funded and they allowed downtime on the clock. I had some projects were I just sat on my but and got a PHAT paycheck, others I was working by butt off and being underpaid. You can't really tell until you get in there.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    shodown wrote: »
    Working at a consultant increased my overall career earnings and skills and let to me opening up my own shop. I work with a lot of people who are career consultants. They hop around from project to project usually staying close to the latest and greatest. The grind of the project depends on whats being implemented and how well its been thought out. When I use to just post a lot on here it means the project was well funded and they allowed downtime on the clock. I had some projects were I just sat on my but and got a PHAT paycheck, others I was working by butt off and being underpaid. You can't really tell until you get in there.

+1 to this. Consulting will certainly keep you sharp and allow you tons of new opps in the long run, but you have to understand there is unpredictability with projects. Also some consultants travel like crazy so make sure you consider that too.
  • Options
    sj4088sj4088 Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□

It's not the same because as a consultant you get paid for any time you work unlike a salaried FTE. So he would get paid for 52 hours.

The biggest drawback with a consultant is the unpredictably. So if you have a family it might not be the best way to go.
  • Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    I ended up turning down that opportunity for the consulting today due to the unpredictability of the hours involved. Also they stated it was salary and you only got bonuses upon completing projects etc. So that 52 hourss you would be paid like 40 hours with a potential bonus at the end of the year.
  • Options
    sj4088sj4088 Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    loxleynew wrote: »
    I ended up turning down that opportunity for the consulting today due to the unpredictability of the hours involved. Also they stated it was salary and you only got bonuses upon completing projects etc. So that 52 hourss you would be paid like 40 hours with a potential bonus at the end of the year.

No thanks. I would of turned it down too. Why would anyone leave a FTE job for a setup like that? lol