Options

Dynamic IP question and renewal.

joemc3joemc3 Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
I had an error assigning a static IP to my server and for some reason I couldn't set up what I needed. I logged onto my router and changed the setting to never release/renew the lease on IP's. Is this a good way to keep your dynamic IP a static IP? What are some pitfalls to doing it this way?

Comments

• Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What kind of DHCP server are we talking about here? Cisco router? What was the error you got on your server?
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with Zertanasaurus. Need a little more background info, like what you are using for DHCP distribution...Cisco router? Microsoft server?

To answer your second question, disabling DHCP is never a good thing. You can get away with it on an EXTREMELY small network, but it is going to cause headaches on any decent sized infrastructure.

You can create DHCP scopes with specific ranges that you want to be static and/or create DHCP reservations for certain IP's as well.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    My ip's are assigned by the Comcast xfinity router. I went into the options had just disabled it from renewing leases every 8 days.
  • Options
    nachodbanachodba Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You should be able to assign your machine an IP address outside of the private scope. For example, my DHCP scope was set to 10.0.0.2-10.0.0.255, I changed the DHCP scope to 10.0.0.100-10.0.0.110, I started manually assigning IP's starting around 10.0.0.150.
    2020 Goals
    work-life balance
  • Options
    I don't really follow, but I was curious about that. Mastering server 2012 R2. At the end of chapter 2 they discuss the lab setup of two servers. The setup they use has two servers in the 192....range. My computers are in the 10...range. I still have a lot to learn. I guess I should turn on lease IP in the router.
  • Options
    pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    joemc3 wrote: »
    I don't really follow, but I was curious about that. Mastering server 2012 R2. At the end of chapter 2 they discuss the lab setup of two servers. The setup they use has two servers in the 192....range. My computers are in the 10...range. I still have a lot to learn. I guess I should turn on lease IP in the router.
    They're both private addresses and you can use either range in your lab:

Private network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia