Options

When soon I start applying for jobs?

tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm graduating from my Community College with an AAS in Information Technology this coming December. I just passed the Network+ and I'm studying to take the A+ in a few weeks; my voucher for the Network+ expired sooner. I also hope to pass the Security+ before mid January. With all of this being written, should I begin to look for a job now or wait until after Thanksgiving or even after I take (and hopefully pass) the Security+ before the Superbowl?

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd start applying now to start getting valuable experience on your resume. You've already got a cert and you'll have a couple more soon as well as your degree. If you can sell yourself, you should be able to get into an entry level position.
  • Options
    HiTekHiTek Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Start applying today. Look on the job boards for entry level help desk in your area. Apply for everything.
  • Options
    tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well the thing is that I do not want to stay in my area and I want to move to a bigger city. Does that matter? I'm tied down to my internship until Christmas; the first of the year is the earliest I can start anything new.
  • Options
    arrogantbastardarrogantbastard Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is your internship in IT? If so I'd start casually applying 3 months out and hardcore 6 weeks or less out. I recently had to go through the pain of trying to find a job on the other side of the states where I was from for when I got out of the military. Every person I interviewed with told me they needed someone immediately, which didn't work. My current employer however was not in a rush. I didn't actually get offered my current job until I came in for an in person interview after two phone ones. So it really depends on the employer and how quickly they need the position filled.
  • Options
    techwizardtechwizard Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    start applying now. It can take up to 3 to 4 months to get that job. It took a bank I applied to last year, 4 months to go through the entire process, application, screening, 1st interview, 2nd interview, phone interview, and finally the phone call back to me to tell me I did not get the job. I have had similar experiences with several companies I applied to as far back as June.
    "Never give up" ~ Winston Churchill