Options

Developing a Fallback Plan

tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm graduating from my Community College with an AAS in Information Technology this coming December. I just passed the Network+ and I'm studying to take the A+ in a few weeks; the voucher for the Network+ expired sooner. I also hope to pass the Security+ before mid January. With all of this being written, I'm trying to develop a fallback plan if the job search does not go as well I hope. If I don't have much luck in the spring and summer, would it be wise to fallback and apply to begin a MIS/IT 4 degree program at a state university for next fall or would it be a good idea to hold out a little while longer? I just don't want to be running in place for longer than I need to be.

Comments

• Options
    tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    I think a better option is to clearly define what your plan A is and just full force go for it. I think having a plan B this early on is not exactly something worth focusing your time and energy on.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Getting a BS degree is always a good option when you don't already have one.

If you can't find a job when you graduate I doubt that the reason is going to be a lack of education it is more than likely going to be a lack of experience or lack of opportunity in the area. If you do decide to get go a BS make sure you get into a relevant work study program, summer internship or part job where you can build up you skills.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you don't need a job next spring, then why not just complete your degree while you're at it. It'll be best for you in the long run. I know 4 years is a long time but I believe it's worth it.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Agreed with Jasmin I like the idea of getting a 4 year degree. Complete the degree and then focus on everything else. Of course I am speaking from my experiences and found I don't to well if I get too many irons in the fire.
  • Options
    tkerber wrote: »
    I think a better option is to clearly define what your plan A is and just full force go for it. I think having a plan B this early on is not exactly something worth focusing your time and energy on.

I think you are right. I talked to my mom about it and she straight up told me that I am being a "doubting Thomas."
  • Options
    I should had mentioned that I already have a Bachelors degree but in History and Political Science. Am I right to believe that companies and organizations who want someone with a 4 year IT degree won't even talk to me unless I have one?
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you have two degrees and no job opportunity then getting another one might not be the best answer.

I fully support continuing your education but I have to question your actual desire to get a job if your already looking to continue with additional school. Set up a home lab and study while you job hunt.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    If you have two degrees and no job opportunity then getting another one might not be the best answer.

I fully support continuing your education but I have to question your actual desire to get a job if your already looking to continue with additional school. Set up a home lab and study while you job hunt.

Good Luck!

I'm sorry if I sound bitter and angry but I don't see how going to college for 7.5 years and not being able to use either my undergraduate or graduate degree that I worked my ass off earning and then working another 2.5 years in a shitty call center job (added on top of being forced to live at home with my parents) qualifies as "not having the desire."