Options

First role in IT: 14k per year in London

Hello dear members.

During these days I had a look at different job adverts and I started to make some calculations about the net pay I could possibly earn.

From what I see, the potential salary for an individual that holds few certs like, A+/N+/CCNA and no-experience can potentially range from 14k up to 16k. And from 18k-22k for somebody with good experience and certifications.

Since the best area would be Greater London, where most of the jobs are located, I was a bit concerned about the cost of living as potential barrier.
I thought to give some numbers to many of you that live in Usa and may not know the wages and the cost of living in Uk.
At the following address is possible to calculate the net salary after taxes typing the yearly gross earned
Salary Calculator 2014/2015, 2013, UK Tax Calculator 2014 - 2015, Listentotaxman PAYE income tax calculator, payslip, how much tax will i pay, national insurance, tax free allowances student loan repayment.

Here a couple of sites I use to have a look about job adverts.
Totaljobs.com
Computing & IT Jobs in United Kingdom - Gumtree

Here another link for rooms and flats to rent.
Offered | Houses and flats for rent or sale in United Kingdom | Gumtree

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards, SeekBytes.

Comments

• Options
    yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Last summer I was looking for jobs there, and the average entry-level salary was 23-25k, up to 40k as soon as you have a couple of years of experience.
  • Options
    SeekBytesSeekBytes Member Posts: 143
    Hello Yzt. Of course 23-25k are a substantial difference compared to 14-16k range when you live on your own. May I ask you why stopped searching in UK ?
  • Options
    started a Master's Degree and got a job here xD
  • Options
    Are you based in Canary Islands?
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think the trick is to live outside of London, have about an hour of commuting time, rent is cheaper with lots of space, savings and live like a king. Just ask Jabba the German :)
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    Hello JustFred, thank you participating to the thread.

I used to rent a place int 4th zone which is not Central London. Technically speaking in Central London you cannot live at all. To make an example a room in Kings Cross costs you around 600£ per month. If you earn 950-1150£ ( you can check on the link above the net salary) it will be difficult to live with the basic. I used to pay around 400£, but you have to add 140£ for using the tube and at least an hour traveling.

As soon as I am ready I will prepare for me for interviews, but as I said I hope I am going to find me in different situation money-wise.
  • Options
    SeekBytes wrote: »
    Are you based in Canary Islands?
    yes.

By the way, have you considered the Reading and Guildford areas? I remember to see many jobs at those places.
  • Options
    DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
    How difficult would it be to find a job in London as opposed to a US city such as New York?
  • Options
    I have never been in Usa, but I think that if you are willing to move in different states, it could be easier. In Uk 33% of GDP comes from the London area where everybody is searching for luck. Which means high level of competition even for £6.30/h. Another consideration could be budget. If you have friends and family to support you. Traveling and re-locating yourself should not heart that much. But if you have to pay for your living just for interviews around the nation it might be costly.