Options

Career and Certification Advice

mas0n056mas0n056 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I just found this site and I am happy to start working toward being part of the community!

I would like some advice on my situation and what would be a wise course of action.
My background:
I graduated with a bachelor degree in Finance with a minor in Computer Science
I am currently in a Area manager position in sales managing 3 million in accounts
Pay is around 55k right out of college, however by taking my minor in CS, I gained a great passion for it.

I went and talked to an IT recruiter and he suggested to make up for only having a minor in CS to gain some certifications. I am totally new to this and wanted to know is there any websites that haves a guide for all the certifications? I would like to pursue an entry level software engineer/ developer. What would be the top certifications to allow the most employability for my desired position?

Comments

• Options
    moe12moe12 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Welcome to TE!
    There are Java certifications and python certifications, but it really all comes down to what type of software development do you want to do? If you want to be an app developer you would not need these certifications. If you want to get into web development you might want to read up on security and what current employers are looking for.
  • Options
    mas0n056mas0n056 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    After doing some research I decided to go after MCSA: SQL Server 2012 & MCSD: Web Applications. Would this be a wise career decision to make me the most employable? What would be some other recommendations?
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It is certainly a good idea to consider being employable as part of your criteria. However it sounds like your still trying to figure out what you would like to do. I personally think it's to early for you to commit to a final path.

Browse a bookstore or online and try a few things. See where your interest is. You don't want to be in the situation of having a finance degree and several certs but not really like either of them.

As a side note the financial industry has a lot of demand for IT and they do like there technical staff to understand the business environment so you could find yourself in a good position if you find something that can merge the two.

Good Luck!