Options

SUS - Does it distribute MS Service Packs?

JLLJLL Inactive Imported Users Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
Happy Holidays to All!

Well, I'm sitting at home watching the Seahawks put a semi-whooping on the Colts while dipping Fritos in some salsa when all of a sudden I get the urge to find out if Software Update Services can truly accommodate Microsoft Service Packs - Geeks remain Geeks even on X-Mas icon_sad.gif

The reason I ask is because the MS Press Exam 70-290 Study Guide specifically says that Software Update Services does not distribute service packs (Ch.9 9-22). Service Packs will have to be downloaded, extracted, shared and pushed via Group Policy (that makes some sense). Now, on the other hand, the Sybex Exam 70-290 Study Guide makes no type of indication that SUS will not support the distribution of service packs. It actually makes a strong suggestion that it will; especially in the Chapter 1 Review Questions.

I don't know if there is a question regarding this on the actual exam, but it is definitely worth noting and knowing.

Regards,

JLuna

Comments

• Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    SUS is supposed to do this. However, WSUS is the replacement and does a much better job, along with increasing flexibility and options.
  • Options
    shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    Yes, the newest version of SUS does distribute SP. The first version of it did not. I have installed the latest version of SUS (not WSUS) and have pushed out service packs.

The CBT nuggets I used also said that it did not do service pack, but it is out dated.
  • Options
    shadown7 is probably referring to version 2.0. Yes, I've rolled them out with it to. But even 2.0 starts to get a little flakey when you're trying to get it sync'd across multiple forests. Again, I've had much better luck with WSUS.
  • Options
    SUS v1.0 does not support the distribution of service packs.
    SUS v2.0 does support service pack distribution.
    WSUS replaces SUS and has no problem dishing out service packs.

Thank you both for this information. Since my MS Press study guide was printed during SUS v1.0, then the information is only as good as the day it was printed.

Keatron,

Seeing that you currently work with WSUS across multiple forests, would you mind sharing the type of topology being used for WSUS and its impact, if any, on the network?

Thank again!

JLuna
  • Options
    Well, the short response is WSUS is not tied to domain hierarchies so it's a non-issue as far as that goes. However, performance issues will kill you if you don't know your topology and usage patterns well. Scheduling is key.

Basically the client has big offices in Dallas, Chicago, Atlanta, and 3 small offices in other smaller cities. The Chicago WSUS server is the only one directly connected to Microsoft for updates. All the other locations are configured as downstream to the Chicago location. All approval, declines, etc etc happen at the first upstream server (the one connecting to MS). The beauty is the administration is centralized and minimized. If you'd like I can take the company name info off the documentation diagrams we made for the client and send it to you. The egg nog is starting to kick in. Enough tech talk, my wife is yelling at me.

See ya and happy holidays.
  • Options
    Keatron,

I definitely would like to peruse the diagram(s). Please send them at your earliest convenience.

Thank you and good luck (w/wifey).

JLuna
  • Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    all the same, WSUS isn't included in the exam, just SUS.
    witty comment
  • Options
    _omni_ wrote:

Yes, and it just so happens that sometimes our exam discussions lead into real world functionality discussions. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    keatron wrote:
    _omni_ wrote:

Yes, and it just so happens that sometimes our exam discussions lead into real world functionality discussions. icon_wink.gif
    yeah, just pointing it out icon_wink.gif
    witty comment