Options

Questions to ask during Desktop Support Interview

shawnx715shawnx715 Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello All!

I have a couple interviews lined for desktop support roles. Just wanted all of your opinions on what kind of questions i should ask during the technical interviews. Would it be ok to ask questions regarding some of their policies, their process on certain tasks and how they handle certain issues.

Would love to hear all of your opinions.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would ask about room for advancement and professional growth. Is there a training budget or opportunities to attend conferences and other networking events?
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In general I follow what I have learned from Ramit Sethi's blog concerning interview questions.

I ALWAYS ask ...

-What are the role's expectations; i.e. where do they WANT/Need you to be in 30/60/90 days from starting.
    -Why is the role being created; is it growth or did someone leave?
    -What is the team collectively comprised of and how long have they been with the company; this gives you an idea if they grow from within or are stagnant.

I always avoid the money question and suggest that it would be better for both them and myself to find out if the job and myself are a good fit instead of minor details. If they press the money issue, ask them for a number first. This will give you seconds to decide how you like the number but its better than lowballing and getting the short end of the stick because you gave a lower number then they were willing to pay.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    In addition to that I would want to know what the infrastructure looks like. Doesn't have to be specific, just to give me an idea of what to expect. I need to know if they are running Pentium IIIs with Win98 or i7s with WIn 7/8. That has always played a big factor in my decisions. I would hate to be stuck supporting crappy PCs or any type of Mac device.

Also, you need to know what their current challenges are. Is it too many Office tickets? A lot of hardware issues? A zillion password lockouts? Lack of defined processes? This will help you hang on to whatever they say and build your case on how you can be super tech and help them solve their biggest problems. Best chance you'll get to sell yourself.

Also similar to the above, you should ask about upcoming projects such as hardware refresh or new apps/processes being introduced. Again, chance to sell yourself.
  • Options
    kbowen0188kbowen0188 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Near the end of the interview, ask them if they have any concerns or reservations about your qualifications. A lot of people seem to appreciate this question, and if they are honest, it will really help show where you might be lacking and what employers may not like seeing. This also gives you a chance to defend/sell yourself even more.