Options

I am lacking motivation. Help!

hell911hell911 Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
I will be straight to the point, I am lacking motivation in College. I am still in college, my parents pay the tuition fee, so I don't have to worry about working long hours just to pay the bill. I work for allowed number of hours to pay the rent/food/etc.. I am always thinking that after I am done with College, I can start working hard later on, but right now I am too relaxed. Btw, Only 8 months left till graduation. icon_sad.gif

To those who have attended post secondary institution or still in it, Please share some tips on how to stay focused and motivated. icon_sad.gif

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well, no one can make you motivated, that one is on you. But, with 8 months left, have you done internships? Are you looking? Are you networking to get your foot in the door? Even with a degree, no certs and no experience isn't exactly an open door to an IT job. Maybe that idea will help push you a bit?
  • Options
    Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    If you're not motivated now, you will be when you see your friends getting jobs while you don't.
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Vask3n wrote: »
    If you're not motivated now, you will be when you see your friends getting jobs while you don't.

This 100%. Even though most of my friends didn't major in IT, just seeing a lot of others succeeding in their careers and doing what they wanted to do, while I toiled away was the greatest motivator for me.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can wait your entire life to start working hard.
    If you want to be successful today would be a good day to start.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    HailHogwashHailHogwash Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Get into your college help desk(or PC tech,call center tech support) if you can.. I wish someone had told me this or rather if I had joined Techexams earlier for the invaluable advice before I got my "shiny new hardware" and then no one would hire me.
  • Options
    bhcs2014bhcs2014 Member Posts: 103
    I'm assuming you're an IT major. Do you want to do IT as a career?
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    drink more beer and get laid. If your going to waste away your youthful years lacking motivation, may as well walk away with epic stories to tell later right?
  • Options
    2230622306 Member Posts: 223 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nothing is worse than your friends getting jobs and you are bum-ming around. get up join a gym start doing some physical activity and talk to people who will motivate you. trust me that will help you.
  • Options
    kbowen0188kbowen0188 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You really can't just sit around waiting to magical motivation to come along. A lot of the time you will just have to tuck your chin in and press forward, even if it is hard.

But, I mean, you need motivation?

Dude, eight months and you will have something that tons of people would love to have. You will be done with college and starting an entirely new part of your career. And it was all paid. You got it going on, remind yourself of that!
  • Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I felt the same way in college, but I didn't make it as far as you did before dropping out due to grades (I lost my scholarships and couldn't afford to pay for school). So, I joined the military instead. That fixed my motivation problem very quickly :)
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    Not sure what your grades are in college, but it appears that you are giving the least amount of effort to get by. Any worthwhile company or organization will most likely want to see transcripts, and may pass up on you due to your lack of good grades and lack of experience. Those that are working hard in college will get jobs right out of college, while you are laid back skating by with no job. I hope I am wrong in assuming your grades aren't great, because if that is true, you are going to find yourself in a tough spot in 8 months.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Any worthwhile company or organization will most likely want to see transcripts, and may pass up on you due to your lack of good grades and lack of experience.

Really? I've never seen a company ask for school transcripts.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    At the end of the day, you are going to continue to lack motivation until you get that wake up call. Maybe it will be when your friends get jobs and you are back at home jobsless. Maybe it will be when your working at subway and realize i need to get my **** together. Just realize in IT you will always need to continue learning, studying, staying up with current trends, getting certs. So just understand what you are getting into.

But maybe its also that your just not interested in IT. And there is nothing wrong with that if thats the case. THats what college is for. To learn what you like, what you dont, how to study, motivate yourself, etc.
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Really? I've never seen a company ask for school transcripts.

It has been my experience that companies that go after recent or soon-to-be graduates ask for transcripts. When I was finishing my BS degree, I had applied to a handful of companies, and a couple of them asked for transcripts (most of them were contracting companies with contracts with the government). I currently work for the gov't, and they required college transcripts to be sent to them before I was offered a position.
  • Options
    hell911hell911 Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not sure what your grades are in college, but it appears that you are giving the least amount of effort to get by. Any worthwhile company or organization will most likely want to see transcripts, and may pass up on you due to your lack of good grades and lack of experience. Those that are working hard in college will get jobs right out of college, while you are laid back skating by with no job. I hope I am wrong in assuming your grades aren't great, because if that is true, you are going to find yourself in a tough spot in 8 months.

I have good grades on networking related subjects, and average grades on general education subjects.
    One of my problems is the gen ed. subjects which consumes a lot of energy and time, but in the end, it does a very low impact (career wise (IMO)).
    I guess I'll just suck it up and continue moving forward.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    hell911 wrote: »
    I have good grades on networking related subjects, and average grades on general education subjects.
    One of my problems is the gen ed. subjects which consumes a lot of energy and time, but in the end, it does a very low impact (career wise (IMO)).

Trust me, they will help. For example, your writing is not the greatest. A writing class or gen ed class would help you with that. And believe it or not, it will help you in your IT career.
  • Options
    LinuxNerdLinuxNerd Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've read that Marijuana helps motivation. It's legal in 2 states, soon to be 4.
  • Options
    itsgonnahappenitsgonnahappen Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Your parents pay for all of your education? Maybe you should tell them that you don't deserve that luxury because you have difficulties respecting money that isn't your own. You need a reality check.
  • Options
    arrogantbastardarrogantbastard Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The way I see it is if you're not going to do it, there's always someone who will and is doing it better. So if you want to sit on the side lines and watch everyone pass you by, that's your own deal.
  • Options
    Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    hell911 wrote: »

Not to keep beating at you because that has already been taken care of, but the worst part about your attitude is that you think you have everything figured out.

You are about to get a huge wake up call in 8 months when you go into the real world.
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University