Options

Salary Estimate?

aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
I've got a question that I believe some of you might be able to provide some insight on. I'm trying to estimate the salary of a position based on the salary of other technical positions at the same company.

I've been able to find out that the software engineers at the company start at $60,000 and go up to around $80,000 with experience. If you were to compare the responsibilities/requirements of the software engineer with the TSE and make an estimate, how much do you think the TSEs at the company start at?

My best guess is $55,000.

TSE: http://i.gyazo.com/68ad653f82051c287e5bfa24de0fba53.png
Software Engineer: http://i.gyazo.com/9c5f461c7ecde2b7eac3094c1b1577b4.png
2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hopefully someone else has better input but it's going to be hard to draw a parallel between paying a software engineer and someone in windows tech support. I think you should just find out the average salary in your area for a support role, then maybe try to shoot above that? Every company I have seen looks as support people and software developers very differently from a compensation standpoint.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    ^ that is true. At my company you are talking about a $20-25k difference between those two positions. You definitely need to do your localized research to come up with an appropriate number.
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    Location plays the biggest factor in pay. A developer in San Francisco should make more than a developer in Alabama. Location, experience, and education are the biggest factors when it comes to compensation.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Really, what does it matter what other jobs are paying? How is that going to help you?

What are you making now? How much experience do you have? What certs? Degree? Where do you live? This is going to determine what you get paid.

Then, you need to take that and evaluate each position individually.

Does this job pay more? Will it allow you to gain a new skill set and more experience? If so, go for it. If it doesn't, then dont.

it seems these two jobs are vastly different as well. one being more pre/post sales with no programming and the other involving writing and troubleshooting code.
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    aderon wrote: »
    I've been able to find out that the software engineers start at $60,000 and go up to around $80,000 with experience.

Not even close. Cracking six figures is easy for a good developer.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ratbuddy wrote: »
    Cracking six figures is easy for a good developer.

It's important to note, OP didn't mention salaries for a 'good' developer. Experienced does not automatically mean highly skilled.
  • Options
    ratbuddy wrote: »
    Not even close. Cracking six figures is easy for a good developer.

I'm merely stating what the salary is from what I've found through research. Salaries are lower in FL due to no state income tax and I wouldn't call it unheard of for an entry/mid position.

I guess to refocus the question, I'm trying to compare what a technical support engineer makes compared to a software engineer of the same career level given that the salary of the software engineer is known and the difference in salary due to location or company is not a factor (Since the location and company are constant).

Edit: I now realize my mistake. I forgot to mention that the two jobs are at the same company/location. Original post has been edited.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
  • Options
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Hopefully someone else has better input but it's going to be hard to draw a parallel between paying a software engineer and someone in windows tech support. I think you should just find out the average salary in your area for a support role, then maybe try to shoot above that? Every company I have seen looks as support people and software developers very differently from a compensation standpoint.

I'm thinking you're probably right. I'll try that out and see what I come up with.
  • Options
    rcsoar4funrcsoar4fun Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Tried Salary or Glassdoor?
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Honestly my best guess is 40-45k. This appears to be a fairly entry level position compared to the software engineering position.
  • Options
    Tremie24Tremie24 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ^^I'm thinking that

I'd 50K maybe on the high side, depending on how much experience you have.
  • Options
    CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    aderon wrote: »
    I guess to refocus the question, I'm trying to compare what a technical support engineer makes compared to a software engineer of the same career level given that the salary of the software engineer is known and the difference in salary due to location or company is not a factor (Since the location and company are constant).

Edit: I now realize my mistake. I forgot to mention that the two jobs are at the same company/location. Original post has been edited.

I really think it comes down to whether or not the position is considered a cost center or profit center. To most, a software engineer would be considered a profit center whereas a technical support engineer would be considered a cost center. Don't get me wrong here, a technical support engineer position can be considered a profit center for instance in a MSP environment.
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    And by that same token, software engineering is a cost center, unless you're actually selling software. My work employs three+ full time developers to work on various software systems, and it's just a cost of doing business - the developed software does not directly contribute to income.