Options

Last day in the office

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
Time to leave the MSP behind and start a new era as Senior Consultant ..

228072.strip.gif

Now I heard that neither of my managers is even in the office - makes me wonder why I even bothered coming in LOL ..
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    GL as a Sr. Consultant. Do you know if you're going to be a long term consultant or troubleshooter?
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Ah! Exit interviews: one of those things that I always say "thanks but no thanks!"
  • Options
    RakuraiRakurai Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What MSP if you don't mind me asking. I am actually interviewing to a network engineer at one right now. Any horror stories from the one you are leaving?
  • Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    I had my last job call me up the other day and ask me to come back. My replacement totally messed everything up and they have no idea what they were doing. I told them I wouldn't come back unless I make 20k more than I already make. Of course I just gave them a number, but still.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    @Jibba, big congrats! Is this a move you had been planning for awhile?
    tkerber wrote: »
    As someone who also just put in his notice at an MSP to take a Senior Analyst position I can agree with this. For any of you looking to join in on an MSP, all I can say is--it is a completely different beast. I came from an internal position with a large company that was very well organized. Their documentation was in all honesty--beautiful and their procedures and protocols were all very easy to follow and easy to find.

I left for the opportunity to diversify my experience at an MSP. However, I have to say the organization and documentation is an atrocity. I go to sites on a daily basis that I've never been to and have no idea how things were setup or how I'm even supposed to fix them. I am on call and constantly glued to my email and phone. Your work hours are a lot longer if you travel because traffic and drive times vary--often times I'll be at a site 45 minutes away from my house or further. Lastly, the thing you have to realize about working for an MSP is that most of these companies hire MSPs because they're cheap. Meaning they look at IT as just a necessary cost of business and don't like spending money on new infrastructure and support or cannot afford their own in house IT personnel. So is the experience great? Absolutely. Is the job different and diverse? Yes! But depending on how big of an MSP you work for and how they operate, it can really be a lot of frustration. I know some guys who work for other MSPs and they sing the same song.

tl;dr

I'm also leaving an MSP and I think I'm going to be happy to come back to a large organization.. Especially a big tech company.

I also work for an MSP. I think the companies overall setup can make a big difference in how you view the work and the enviroment. We have pretty good documentation for each customer, if the documentation is lacking we are encouraged to create/improve it.

Us road guys get company cars. We are paid the moment we leave our house in the morning until the moment we get back home + whatever remote work we might do at night.

I don't know if this its like this at other MSPs, but we have A TON of paper work and documentation to perform daily. It accounts for 20-25% of my time. Its not really a down side since its usually technical writing (making guides, instructions, policies, etc...) but the accounting aspect of it is a drag (we produce receipts on the spot for payments above and beyond the monthly management fee).
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    --chris-- wrote: »
    @Jibba, big congrats! Is this a move you had been planning for awhile?

I also work for an MSP. I think the companies overall setup can make a big difference in how you view the work and the enviroment. We have pretty good documentation for each customer, if the documentation is lacking we are encouraged to create/improve it.

Us road guys get company cars. We are paid the moment we leave our house in the morning until the moment we get back home + whatever remote work we might do at night.

I don't know if this its like this at other MSPs, but we have A TON of paper work and documentation to perform daily. It accounts for 20-25% of my time. Its not really a down side since its usually technical writing (making guides, instructions, policies, etc...) but the accounting aspect of it is a drag (we produce receipts on the spot for payments above and beyond the monthly management fee).

The MSP I worked for a while back most my morning was paperwork from the work the day before. Even after we finally digitized it and the technical writing I promise will come in handy later. Just wait til you get to a job that has no to little documentation and you need to make it :)
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dave330i wrote: »
    GL as a Sr. Consultant. Do you know if you're going to be a long term consultant or troubleshooter?

This will be long term. If this company won't work out - no company will and I may as well go into pig farming. I haven't even started and I got my first VMware course booked in :D
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Ah! Exit interviews: one of those things that I always say "thanks but no thanks!"

Yea pointless. HR today was there with their list of things to do including exit interviews .. I just said "No point". I always said openly what I think so there wouldn't be any surprises anyway :)
    Rakurai wrote: »
    What MSP if you don't mind me asking. I am actually interviewing to a network engineer at one right now. Any horror stories from the one you are leaving?

linkedin.gif

You won't get any horror storries out of me :) I never bad-mouth a company I worked for :)
    --chris-- wrote: »
    @Jibba, big congrats! Is this a move you had been planning for awhile?.

You can say that :) Actively over the last few months, but I am "chasing" them for years haha .. well .. following anyway :D:D
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck, and congrats on the move. I noticed that everyone leaving before I left my last gig got an exit interview. They didn't even bother when I left, and I was the senior who knew where all the dead bodies were hidden... Maybe that's why. They didn't want my input on record, as they were already under scrutiny from the mothership?
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    rcsoar4funrcsoar4fun Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I left a place once that absolutely would not give you your last check until you interviewed with HR. I tried to avoid it but it was borderline harassment. My manager and HR had convinced themselves the problem was I hadn't seen them enough as I worked at a remote site. Because that is what everyone wants, to hang out with the boss more. icon_rolleyes.gif

The job before that was better. Boss walked me across the street about lunch time bought me lunch and a couple of beers. Called me a few choice words for leaving, shook hands and that was it.

Guess which one I would work for again?