Options

Need some inspiration...

The_ExpertThe_Expert Member Posts: 136
Hi Guys and Gals,

So, I passed the ICND1 back in June and have been working on the ICND2 topics a little bit at a time. However, between work and trying to finish my Computer Science degree - I cannot find the motivation to study for the CCNA.

I read Wendell Odoms first book almost entirely and planned on doing the same for the CCNA topics. Then I purchased Todd Lammle's book, since the book is more condensed (I guess I'm tired of reading). I've also started watching the CBT Nugget videos as well.

Any advice?

It seems there is always stuff going on in my life and I just cannot focus right now.
Masters, Public Administration (MPA), Bachelor of Science, 20+ years of technical experience.

Studying on again, off again...

Comments

• Options
    iAnonymityiAnonymity Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm in a similar boat, I have had my BS in computer science for a year this December, since then I have been studying for my A +, and Network +, alternating between the two. Recently I've been considering scrapping CompTIA certs and going for MCSA: Win 7,8 and maybe a server cert to help with with future jobs. For me, its not really the reading or effort, its the money, paying 400 a month in student loans and trying to tackle certs is hard to balance. If I were you, try and do as many certs as you can while in college, because my biggest mistake was not doing so, if I could do it again I would have went to a college where the classes are built around certs like Sullivan University. Balancing things in life can be overwhelming at times, but remember when you graduate and the deferment period ends, a lot more pressure builds, at least it has for me.
  • Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    I hear ya. I been studying for CCENT for months now, life just keeps getting in the way. My wife and two year old keep me busy at home. I'm so close but just need to buckle down!
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • Options
    GhostintheShellGhostintheShell Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    http://youtu.be/g-jwWYX7Jlo?list=PLY...kTzFiIggMWrDZD

Find your inspiration. This was my motivation to make my life better. When I am in doubt, I turn to this.

Take a break if you can. Focus your attention on different coursework for now. Trust me, I've been there, and am still there.
  • Options
    The_ExpertThe_Expert Member Posts: 136
    Thanks everyone... I'm going to take a break and then redouble my focus after some much needed rest.
    Masters, Public Administration (MPA), Bachelor of Science, 20+ years of technical experience.

Studying on again, off again...
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I battle the same struggles with home / work / cert study balance. My best advise is just do what you can to keep making forward progress. If it's as simple as 30 minutes of study a day because that is all you can fit in then keep on track with that. I have a 3 month old at home so my time is extremely limited when I get home from working a 12hr shift. I have found my progress to be slowed but I don't feel in anyway I am lacking in progress so long as I am focused on moving forward. I have made the mistake of removing myself from study when things get tough / time becomes very limited, in the end I have to go back and refocus on the areas I left behind. If you can keep things fresh by continiously studying even if tiny bits at a time, I feel it's better to maintain that.

I honestly feel this site is what provides me most of my motivation. There are a lot of knowlegable people here meeting their goals and it inspires me to hold firm to mine as well.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi