What home cable modem router do you recommend

jem7skjem7sk Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
I need a new router for my house. I have brighthouse cable and need it to have four or five LAN ports along with wireless. I have 10 year old Linksys that has suited me well but has been giving my problems. I am studying for MCSE now and plan to go to CCNA after that... just fyi in case that helps

Comments

• tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I bought an Asus RT-N66U almost two years ago and I am still getting regular firmware updates that fix issues as well as add new features.
  • jem7skjem7sk Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I bought an Asus RT-N66U almost two years ago and I am still getting regular firmware updates that fix issues as well as add new features.

In my research that was the one that I almost bought without asking :) Good to hear from someone here that they recommend it.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I'm running a Nighthawk AC1900. About to hit 6 months with it and zero issues.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jem7sk wrote: »
    In my research that was the one that I almost bought without asking :) Good to hear from someone here that they recommend it.

Well I am just surprised Asus still supports it, I am so used to vendors pretending like they never made the router after it's been out a year....
  • xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Same here, that and the AC66U
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a Cisco EA4500 (N900) which I'm currently using and it works perfect. I bought a Cisco EA6500 (AC1750) just before Cisco sold linksys, I looked at it for about 2 minutes then put it back in the box. I think it was the web interface on the EA6500 I didn't like, don't remember though.

I hear a lot of good things about ASUS routers. If I had to buy a home router today I'd go with an ASUS
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 140
    Cisco 1921 for home router as well as using it for CCNA lab ^^
    Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
    2015 COLOR=#008000]X[/COLOR | 2016 COLOR=#ff8c00]In progress[/COLOR | 2017 | 2018
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Netgear R7000 flashed with DD-WRT which provides an amazing feature set
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response

I actually ordered this one last night for $129 shipped through amazon prime. Looks like a good compromise in price and functionality.
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    Netgear R7000 flashed with DD-WRT which provides an amazing feature set

Please explain what all the amazing feature set does?
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jem7sk wrote: »
    Please explain what all the amazing feature set does?
    Your new Asus RT-N66U supports DD-WRT by the looks of things, so you could flash the BIOS according to the instructions in the link.

I have DD-WRT on a Wireless Access Point just behind my Cisco cable router and love it, not sure what the model the cable modem is but it's a piece of junk unfortunately and my ISP won't let me change it.

Anyways, the DD-WRT tutorial page will show you how many features there are with DD-WRT.

Edit - Oh, and check the feature table too.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973

Same here. You can also run tomato in it.
    meh
  • HailHogwashHailHogwash Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    check out newegg for cheaper with no tax and free shipping....ASUS Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router RT-N66U - Newegg.com
    check out newegg for cheaper with no tax and free shipping....ASUS Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router RT-N66U - Newegg.com

Good call.. wish I would have seen this before pulling the trigger with amazon. Would have saved me $30.
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    Your new Asus RT-N66U supports DD-WRT by the looks of things, so you could flash the BIOS according to the instructions in the link.

I have DD-WRT on a Wireless Access Point just behind my Cisco cable router and love it, not sure what the model the cable modem is but it's a piece of junk unfortunately and my ISP won't let me change it.

Anyways, the DD-WRT tutorial page will show you how many features there are with DD-WRT.

Edit - Oh, and check the feature table too.

I'll be checking this out for sure!
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I'm running a Nighthawk AC1900. About to hit 6 months with it and zero issues.

I have the same one for about two weeks now. Awesome feature set and zero issues. Cost is a little steep though.