Options

New to A+ need help studying

SaltychipSaltychip Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I was planning to go to community college this semester for associates degree in IT. Once I got all the books and started the coursework it was going by way too slow and I wanted an accelerated rate. Like week 1 of classes was learning how to copy and write a flyer in microsoft word. I wasnt the smartest person in my class but definitly above average knowledge compared to everyone. There as a few people who were previous network administers with the goverment and just in the class to get a degree because they were bored.

So I decided to withdraw from the community college so I can focus on getting my A+ cert right away. I like the hardware side of things mostly I built my first computer from parts on tiger direct about 10 months ago and have learned a lot since then. I also have been building websites with the help of wordpress and have experience in video editing and marketing side of things.

Basically I just realized I'd rather get a lot of certs at my own pace then feel slowed down in class waiting until next semester to actually learn something new. The only things that looked challenging were writing a program in visual studio for a final and having to do my math classes since I dont like math very much.

This is the current book I have to study for A+ will this be good enough?

CompTIA A+ Complete Study Guide: Exams 220-801 and 220-802
by Docter, Quentin

Wanting to get your guys feedback and everything. Thanks :)

Comments

• Options
    Armitron77Armitron77 Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Saltychip,

The book you have now is okay to study from. However, the best two books that everyone agrees on in this forum, including myself, is the All-In-One CompTIA A+ Certification 8th Edition by Mike Meyers and the other is the Exam Cram CompTIA A+ 220-801 and 220-802 6th Edition by David L. Prowse. The difference between the two books is that in the Mike Meyers book goes into details and has lots of information to learn from. The Exam Cram book is more accelerated, meaning it has a lot of information for you to read and learn from, but does not go into details as much as the Mike Meyers book. In my opinion, the Mike Meyers book seems to be geared towards beginners and the Exam Cram book is more geared to advanced or experienced IT Technicians such as myself. As for me, I have been building, troubleshooting, and repairing PC's for over 10 years. I decided to go to college first and get a degree (two of them) in the IT field in which I did. Now I am studying for the A+ certification to add with my degrees along with the experience I have. The two books I'm using is the Mike Meyers and the Exam Cram. I am mainly reading the Exam Cram book to speed up things since I already have the knowledge and the experience. I only use the Mike Meyers book for as a reference to find out more detailed information that the Exam Cram book either does not go into too much detailed information or does not have at all. This however, really all depends on what information I am reading. The book that I recommended for you is the Mike Meyers book to really learn as much information as possible. Furthermore, follow the A+ certification objectives as a map to follow on which objectives you should learn first and then go from there. My question that I have for you is, how long have you been repairing computers? Hope to hear from you soon.
    Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer & Network Security
    Associate in Applied Science Degree in Network Management
    Associate in Applied Science Degree in Network Management/Cyber Security
    CompTIA A+ Certified | CE, CompTIA Network+ Certified | CE

2016 Goals: CCENT/CCNA Routing & Switching COLOR=#008000][B]IN PROGRESS[/B][/COLOR/CompTIA Security+ COLOR=#008000][B]IN PROGRESS[/B][/COLOR
  • Options
    selenityhyperionselenityhyperion Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I made it through about 500 pages of the Mike Meyers book and couldn't force myself to study it any more... I am not really a fan of the hardware aspect as much as the software but I need my A+ to get into WGU... I am watching Professor Messer's videos. All free. I paid $20 to get his study guide for 801 & 802 and do not regret it for a moment. I am nearly finished with the 801 playlist and have about 15 pages of notes (most just kinda stuff I knew but wanted to make sure I remembered is on the test).

So I am using Professor Messer's videos and will be using Mike Meyers for deeper reference if I don't understand something.
    Completed: Starting February 1, 2015
    Needed: C182, EUP1, EUC1, C173, C169, C172, CRV1, C175, C170, TYC1, TYP1, C191, C178, C176, C393, C394, EDV1, TWA1, 3 unkown course numbers
    Transferred: BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, CJC1, IWC1, CLC1, IWT1, BNC1, C278, C164, C132 (33)
  • Options
    ChamayoChamayo Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ones about hardware and the other is about its operation systems. I had poor success with the standard giant books full of pictures but maybe because it was just review for me. The point is going over either way just in case... but what did it for me was the approved Microsoft toolkit and rapid review (right before the test even Cisco/Sysco has a rapid review but 702) Who best to trust than the creators of Windows itself.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    While there is nothing wrong for wanting to go at an accelerated pace, I would still highly recommend that you go to college and get that degree. If you are younger, this is the better way to go than to be stuck in your career a few years down the road because you don't have that degree. Many HR departments when looking for candidates will eliminate those who do not have degrees and you may find yourself stuck in your long term goals because of that degree not being on your resume. While it may go at a pace slower than you want, especially with the first few courses that you would take, it does pick up as you take the higher level courses. Of course, you do have to suffer through the easy junk to start off with that makes you wonder how dumb do they think a person is. My suggestion is that when you have these slower paced, easy classes, do certifications as well since you will likely have the free time to do so. Many times, if you plan out your certification path carefully to coincide with classes you are taking that semester, they will work hand in hand and reinforce your knowledge while helping you knock out the certifications that you want to acquire along the way.

An education is a great thing to have and will make you that much more attractive and hire-able down the road. They see that you stuck it out, and didn't try to take the path of least resistance. Everyone who has a knack for IT and understands the basics know what you are seeing with how slow it starts out. It does pick up and get more challenging the further you get in your education and the courses.
  • Options
    alexalejanalexalejan Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

I second everything else said on this thread, and especially this post. Your drive to get certs on your own is commendable- I did the same with several comptia certs. If you are finding the entry level degree courses a breeze (and not requiring much outside work or study), why not do both classes and certs at once? Consider A+ self study to be another class this semester, and aim to pass it the same time the rest of classes are over.
  • Options
    Sirah8499Sirah8499 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah honestly college for IT is a pretty big waste of time. I learned so much more studying on my own time and covering actual material than I did in all my courses in college. All college is, is a waste of gas, money, and a bunch of busy work that will fill up all your time with BS assignments that won't allow you to have a personal life or time to study actual things that are important. The only good thing that comes out of college is making connections and opportunities for internships, campus jobs in your field, and IT clubs that'll give you some basic experience.

Degree's don't really matter in IT. Most employers seeking to fill IT positions (from what I've seen so far) ask for a general IT degree or equivalent experience. This is where certifications, experience, and marketing yourself come into play.

One guy that was taking the same Major that I was in college dropped out as soon as he got his CCNA cuz that's what his employer was asking for. He obviously realized the rest was nonsense and not worth his time.

Also I hate to seem completely negative but you also can't just bank on an A+ cert to make you successful in IT. That's a bare minimum cert that even the morons at Best Buy's Geek Squad are required to have. Start learning Microsoft Servers alongside A+. Also learn Linux.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sirah8499 wrote: »
    Yeah honestly college for IT is a pretty big waste of time.

Please don't make any life decisions based on this post. When in college your not gonna learn job specific stuff. That's just the way it is. However a degree will continue to benefit you years past the A+ or any other entry level certifications.

Rather then accept this rather negative view of the world I strongly suggest you look at employment statistics from people with and without degrees. Do a few searches for the types of jobs that you would like to do in five years and let us know how many don't ask for a degree of some type.

I would definitely recommend completing a degree when you are able to.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have to agree with Sirah8499 on this one. I am currently in college right now and I find that I can tackle on my own independent studies then be in college(almost done so might as well finish). However, society in whole values a college degree over anything else (sad to say but true). People can pursue their own studies for 4 years and still be ahead. What you should do is with down semesters with basically not a whole lot of work to go and pursue certifications and gain your skillset.
  • Options
    NersesianNersesian Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I can offer some dissenting advice regarding the college route. I had the same perspective as you, but quickly realized I was at a significant disadvantage when it came to my peer group. I've been told several times if you look around and you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room. Sure, you can get a gig in IT with no degree. At some point however, you're going to want more and the majority of organizations are going to look at your resume and evaluate your educational competency. At the point of evaluation, you're already behind the proverbial 8 ball. Do you want to be 40 doing the same thing you're doing now? If so, then great. I would advise getting really comfortable working support and answering to someone you may or may not respect who more than likely has a degree. I'm not going to say I don't hire people without degrees. I do. I hire them for positions I don't have a problem back-filling if something goes south. Do I know folks with high incomes with no degree? Less than 10, and that accounts for 15 years experience in quite a few organizations.

A degree demonstrates a dedication to something...anything really. In this economy you're going to need all the help you can get and sometimes you just need to get past the interview stage. If that doesn't appeal to you, then look at it this way. Sometimes we make sacrifices for the things we want. The A+ is not a terribly difficult exam and if you can't balance community college and the A+, maybe you need to reevaluate your priorities. Either way, if you decide to stick with the line "degree's don't really matter in IT" you may want to consider keeping that under your hat professionally as the people on the other side of the interview table probably spent a lot of time, effort and money on them. Not saying its right...I'm saying that's how it is. I would add, the more you learn, the more you realize you don't know. Maintain a humble persona as there is always someone who is doing it better, faster and harder than you are. If you're doing it right, you're going to run into a great number of these people throughout your career.

*This post was designed to be helpful and not confrontational in any way. Do what makes you happy.
  • Options
    shauncarter1shauncarter1 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Be careful though Sirah as the lack of a degree may present you with some limitations later in your career. I say go for the degree as early as possible if you can. I teach graduate courses at DeVry and you would be surprised how many CTOs, engineers, and the like are finishing their degree in order to increase their marketability. With that in mind I would never say that the degree does not matter. It certainly matters if you want more control of your career trajectory.
    B.S. - Business Administration - 2004
    M.S. - Management Information Systems - 2007
    Doctor of Management specializing in Information Systems - 2017
    Cloud+ - In Progress
    Network Engineer and Online Adjunct Faculty ~ Phoenix, DeVry, StrayerU