Hide services in Windows

--chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
I have come across a situation where I would like to a couple services to no longer display if a user navigates to services.msc. I looked at powershell first, but all I could find were some methods of hiding batch file windows with no clear correlation to hiding a service from the services mmc.

Anyone do something like this?

Comments

• the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Launch GPO editor
    Launch you GPO editor and navigate to the OU that contains the machine(s) that you wish to apply this GPO to.

Create a new GPO
    Right click on the OU and select 'Create a GPO in this Domain and link it here' from the available options.
    Give the new GPO an appropriate name.

Edit the new GPO
    Right click on the new GPO and click Edit.
    This will now open the Group Policy Management Editor.

Setting the GPO
    To select the service that you wish to edit, navigate to:
    Computer Configuration >> Windows Settings >> Security Settings >> System Services

Locate the services that you wish to restrict, right click and select 'Properties'.
    Place a check box in the 'Define this policy setting' and select the appropriate startup mode.

Securing the Service
    Click on 'Edit Security' and amend the security settings as you would any other Windows setting. If you wanted to secure this service using AD groups, you could create the group, assign users to this group and then add this group to the security settings here. This will effectively target users to deny access etc.

Something like that?
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Launch GPO editor
    Launch you GPO editor and navigate to the OU that contains the machine(s) that you wish to apply this GPO to.

Create a new GPO
    Right click on the OU and select 'Create a GPO in this Domain and link it here' from the available options.
    Give the new GPO an appropriate name.

Edit the new GPO
    Right click on the new GPO and click Edit.
    This will now open the Group Policy Management Editor.

Setting the GPO
    To select the service that you wish to edit, navigate to:
    Computer Configuration >> Windows Settings >> Security Settings >> System Services

Locate the services that you wish to restrict, right click and select 'Properties'.
    Place a check box in the 'Define this policy setting' and select the appropriate startup mode.

Securing the Service
    Click on 'Edit Security' and amend the security settings as you would any other Windows setting. If you wanted to secure this service using AD groups, you could create the group, assign users to this group and then add this group to the security settings here. This will effectively target users to deny access etc.

Something like that?

Thanks, this will work. The user should not be using the Admin account anyways. I will just ask that they use their regular , then use these instructions to apply these settings to that one account.

GPO is some crazy stuff...
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    GPO is one of my favorite things from Microsoft. It can be difficult to deal with, but there is so much you can do with it!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff