Options

What position should I be looking into given my experience/education?

bbugyi200bbugyi200 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello All,

I am currently working at Comcast as a Tier II repair technician. My main job function is to work escalations sent up to our group from the Tier 1 call center reps and other Tier 1 groups. I have held this position for about 15 months now, and was a Technical Repair rep at a Comcast call center for 2 years before I got this position.

I have my A+ and Net+ certifications and am currently studying for my CCNA (I will be taking my CCENT exam in 2 weeks).

I am looking for new opportunities both within and outside of the company. My question is this: What positions would you consider me eligible for?

My 5 year plan is definitely to break into an entry level Network Engineer position. My focus right now is on Network Administrator job positions. Is this something that I have a chance of getting a call back on, given my current qualifications? Also, are there other positions that would be a good fit that I should be looking into?

While I am very open to suggestions, I am not willing to make a lateral move at this point, as I do enjoy working for Comcast and would not leave without given the proper incentive.

Any suggestions??? :)

Comments

• Options
    chronos42chronos42 Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Since I'm about in your position right now as well, I'm also curious as to the answer to this question. Anyone?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What exactly is it you are repairing? Network issues, cable modems, PC issues?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You wont even be taken serious until you get your CCNA on your resume. Learn VPN technology so you know what they are talking about in interviews when they ask you about the IKE phase 2 tunnel. I had a 5 year plan and I'm on year 4 and finally landed a network engineer job. Took a lot of being told NO but kept plugging away. 2 years of being a Network Admin at a school then 2 years Desktop support at a big network company and finally got my shot. Now I'm working with a bunch of old salty dog network guys and trying to soak up everything I can from them. Network certs will def speed up your learning curve.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    bbugyi200bbugyi200 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What exactly is it you are repairing? Network issues, cable modems, PC issues?

Anything that someone may call in to Comcast for regarding service issues. (i.e. digital voice issues, video issues, high-speed internet issues...)