Options

CCNA - Port Security and Static Routing

supertech10supertech10 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
1. Port security - learn static mac address when one pc ping the other pc ip address and the mac address will register when use command show mac-address-table. It true?

2. static routing - manually configure the router through wan connection. it's true?

3. How this port security and static routing works in network?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Why don't you tell us what you think and we can point you in the right direction if you are off.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am currently studying CCNA and just went through these 2 chapters in my book.
    I guess this is perfect timing to see if I am correct in my understanding of the subject...so anyone else, please don't hesistate in correcting me.

Port Security, is how you manage the physical access to a port, whether it is a specific MAC address or Sticky and what the port will do when the policy has been violated, shutdown or restrict the port.

Static Routing is used mainly for Point to Point routing, usually best used when you know there will be no changes to that particular part of the network. It's the most efficient(cost) way to route but very heavy on user management if done on a huge network, thats when it is recommended to use dynamic routing such as OSPF.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Port Security -- Limits what MAC Addresses can be used on a switchport. Can drop offending frames, generate log messages, and err-disable the port depending on the configuration.

(config-if)# switchport port-security
    (config-if)# switchport port-security maximum 1
    (config-if)# switchport port-security mac-address sticky
    (config-if)# switchport port-security violation shutdown

This would configure the switch to remember the next MAC Address that is seen on that port and if any other MAC Address is subsequently seen, to drop the frames, generate a syslog message, and err-disable the port. This is used for security. That is to keep a rogue device from being plugged into a switchport.

Static Routing -- Manually tells one router how to reach a remote (not directly connected) network.

(config)# ip route 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.9.254

This would tell the router that to reach the 192.168.10.0/24 subnet, it needs to forward the packets to 192.168.9.254. This is used to let the router know how to forward trafficat Layer 3 (Network Layer).
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]