Options

Can I not leave my job?

Hello, I just got the opportunity to go into a 2nd interview at Law firm as desktop support/jr system administrator. The pay is around 45k, and seems like a great place to work, and somewhere I can use more of my skill, and still learn...

The problem is if I get the job its going to be hard to leave my current job. I currently work in help desk, and there are a total of 4 techs. We have a pretty heavy call volume, and one of the techs just put in his 2 week notice. So if I am chosen for the position and left with only 2 people working help desk. There would be chaos!
(I make 28k here)

I do not now what to do!!! advice? suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    Don't sacrifice your own growth because you think your departure may create chaos. They will cope and they'll find somebody to replace you and the other tech. It's nice that you care about the company but in the end you have to do what's best for you.
  • Options
    NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    True
    Don't sacrifice your own growth for it...

I actually did that myself in my first job... Techs were leaving and well there was a good reason(which was growth)
    At the end they didn't die or anything, they just got someone else to do my job.
  • Options
    arrogantbastardarrogantbastard Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Take it, take it, take it. Don't limit yourself based on other people's inability to grow. Maybe you two will motivate the last two to seek better positions.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Wait, is this your fist job? You gotta look out for yourself. Whatever is happening in the company is not your problem. Someone higher up gets paid way more to solve those issues. If they bleed talent it must be for a reason. Some places will make you feel guilty for leaving but please don't fall for this. This is business, not personal. You tender your resignation professionally, give whatever time you feel is necessary (2 weeks usual), offer to help with the transition, and move on. In a perfect world your efforts to make the transition seamless for your employer when you resign should be remembered and appreciated. Doesn't always happen though.

Visualize the places you can go with the new opportunity. This will make your fear disappear. The fact that you'll be getting a 60% increase in pay also helps.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    get out of there, That pay raise you don't take today will come back to affect your earnings down the line. As cyber said above its not your job to worry about how they cope. You could not get a chance to get off the help desk for a while.

I'll break it down further

17K per year you stay at your current job that you loose. At best they give 5-6 percent raises. It would take you years to get to that salary if they keep you at the help desk and you cant' get a larger raise and promotion to a systems admin position. Cash out now and move up, and look to move up again in a few years. Thats the nature of this game.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    mochaaddictmochaaddict Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Opportunity doesn't knock all that often. Answer the call and go for it. Be courteous, professional, and help with the transition out of your current job. It not your job to worry about the workload nor it is your job to sacrifice your professional growth and career progression. Rather, it is expected that when you skills mature that you will move on to bigger and better things. The management is paid to address work load and staffing. Good luck
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Im not sure how that is even a question for you OP, that's like 45% raise to do a better job, your helpdesk will survive with 2 prople for a few weeks.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I always like to point out that every company I have even worked for has remained fully functional after loosing key employees. While you are there you are thinking about the day to day and even hour by hour business demands. There is another layer that is worrying about creating and meeting more demand.

If this is your first job the only piece of advice I would give is to never believe a company can't replace any employee as soon as the need becomes great enough.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Companies ultimately have zero loyalty to you and if it is ever in their interests (whether budget, performance, or other reasons) they will cut you loose without giving it a thought about how it will affect you. So put in your notice and continue your growth both skill and salarywise.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 pretty much sums it up. Take the new opportunity and run with it.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    2230622306 Member Posts: 223 ■■□□□□□□□□
    run son and dont look back !!!
  • Options
    TybTyb Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Easy choice. Look out for your own needs, nobody else will.
    WGU BS:IT Security (March 2015)
    WGU MS:ISA (February 2016 )
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    I'll just restate what's already been said: Take the new position and work hard to become the best SysAdmin that you can be. It is truly admirable that you care about the company and the desk, and it kinda reminds me of myself a few years ago, but I learned the hard way that the company is only invested in itself. If the company ever had to choose between you and the company, you would lose out EVERY SINGLE TIME. Companies are only in it to make money, and the moment you are no longer making money for them, they will look for a way to get you out of there. Look out for number 1, and continue to grow. Of course, be professional, give your notice, and assist with whatever you can while you are still there.
  • Options
    papadocpapadoc Member Posts: 154
    As a security director and previous Manager of IT that oversaw help desks, my comment to you is don't worry, we will always find someone to replace you, especially as I look to outsource desks eventually, but it's nice to know that we have created a position that makes you feel "loyal" to the company.

/M-Team hat off

Write your resignation letter this week and hand it in. Don't look back. When you work in the trenches (no offense to any help desk folks here), if your desire is upward mobility then good opportunities that come across must be seized!
  • Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    Everyones advice would be spot on, but alot of them are overlooking the fact that you have not gotten the new job yet. Wait until you have a job offer in hand to put in two weeks notice. If the current job offers you more money or anything politely tell them you will consider, but come back the next day or so with a no. NEVER take a counter offer unless it includes 100% ownership in the company and if they are willing to give up the entire company for 1 guy i would still say no lol.

Congrats on two good interviews. I wish you the best.
  • Options
    santaowns wrote: »
    Everyones advice would be spot on, but alot of them are overlooking the fact that you have not gotten the new job yet. Wait until you have a job offer in hand to put in two weeks notice. If the current job offers you more money or anything politely tell them you will consider, but come back the next day or so with a no. NEVER take a counter offer unless it includes 100% ownership in the company and if they are willing to give up the entire company for 1 guy i would still say no lol.

Congrats on two good interviews. I wish you the best.

Oh absolutely, that's a given but you're right. I would add to that point, don't resign until the following:

1. You have signed and sent the job offer back.
    2. You have confirmation in an email from either HR and/or the hiring manager that your job offer letter was received and they have a CONFIRMED start date for you.
    3. That all background, certificate and educational checks have been completed and passed. I've seen candidate offers get rescinded due to a failed background check at the last minute.

As for counter offers, "santaowns," hit it right on the head. Accepting a counter offer BURNS both sides of the negotiation. You've wasted the future employers time in scheduling interviews and preparing a package for you. You've also informed your current employer that you are now a flight risk and could jump again so you'll be sure to get your name on the "black list" for the next RIF (reduction in force).
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    It's easiest to remember that it was there before you, and it will be there after you.

Both you and it are just passing waves through the aether. Tip your hat and move on when the opportunity presents itself.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jojocal19 wrote: »
    companies ultimately have zero loyalty to you and if it is ever in their interests (whether budget, performance, or other reasons) they will cut you loose without giving it a thought about how it will affect you. So put in your notice and continue your growth both skill and salarywise.

egg-zack-lee!!!
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    Ryuksapple84Ryuksapple84 Member Posts: 183
    Take the job, there are thousands of people out there looking to get hired. Take that job and grow. Congrats and good luck!
    Eating humble pie.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Hello, I just got the opportunity to go into a 2nd interview at Law firm as desktop support/jr system administrator. The pay is around 45k, and seems like a great place to work, and somewhere I can use more of my skill, and still learn...

The problem is if I get the job its going to be hard to leave my current job. I currently work in help desk, and there are a total of 4 techs. We have a pretty heavy call volume, and one of the techs just put in his 2 week notice. So if I am chosen for the position and left with only 2 people working help desk. There would be chaos!
    (I make 28k here)

I do not now what to do!!! advice? suggestions?

I think you should worry about your current employer and their situation over your own. /sarcasm

It is not going to be "hard" to leave. Write up a resignation letter, hand it over with a two week notice and that's that. If they want you to leave immediately, fine. Enjoy a little time off before starting the new job.

Congrats!
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Who cares about your current employer? It's just business, nothing personal.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    Take the new job and give 2 weeks notice. $17k raise with better responsibilities/title? Your current employer would have to be crazy to hold that against you unless you leave with zero notice.

That said, they may try to play the guilt-trip card. When you go in, give them your resignation letter that states the date you are finished (2 weeks out) and don't let anything they say/do sway your decision.
  • Options
    TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    papadoc wrote: »
    As for counter offers, "santaowns," hit it right on the head. Accepting a counter offer BURNS both sides of the negotiation. You've wasted the future employers time in scheduling interviews and preparing a package for you. You've also informed your current employer that you are now a flight risk and could jump again so you'll be sure to get your name on the "black list" for the next RIF (reduction in force).

This is not always the case. At a helpdesk position, yes --- don't bother, leave and move up. But you should know your value to a company. Some people hold certian company/environment specific knowedge & skillsets that would be difficult to replace. At the same time, if you're looking for profesional growth, don't let money be the object that gets your off track from doing so.
    B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)
  • Options
    NutsacjacNutsacjac Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We have a pretty heavy call volume, and one of the techs just put in his 2 week notice. So if I am chosen for the position and left with only 2 people working help desk. There would be chaos!

Not your problem anymore. They'll adjust.
  • Options
    TheCudder wrote: »
    This is not always the case. At a helpdesk position, yes --- don't bother, leave and move up. But you should know your value to a company. Some people hold certian company/environment specific knowedge & skillsets that would be difficult to replace. At the same time, if you're looking for profesional growth, don't let money be the object that gets your off track from doing so.

I respectfully disagree. Ask any career coach, they will always advise you to never accept a counteroffer. It does a lot more damage to ones integrity than is realized. Yes, you may have extremely valuable skill sets and IP, but think about the company's perspective, do we really want to have someone here that is so difficult to replace that they can hold us to them? CEOs are often replaced at the drop of a hat, including any C-Suite or M-Team personnel. I've seen VP's of Product Development with 25 years in the operations space replaced, even though their performance was good - the new culture and them did not get along. Everyone says HUGE LOSS, we will be impacted for a while. Never happened. If you're at a much smaller company, then yes the ripple effect is a lot sharper, but in larger ones, the company has enough organic revenue momentum to continue without you.
  • Options
    swisschris104swisschris104 Member Posts: 109
    You all are right! This is my first real IT job, and I have just started to get comfortable with it so I was seeing it more than it is(buisness). Of course I will not put in my 2 week notice until I have the job for sure.

Going into the interview feeling guilty about leaving wouldn't help me either during the interview tomorrow.. So this thread really helped. Thanks, and wish me luck