Apple 9.9.14 Event Discussion

chronos42chronos42 Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
This is a place for us to discuss the goings-on at Apple's event today, taking place at the Flint Center for the Performing Arts in Cupertino, CA at 10AM Pacific.

Rumors speak of a new iPhone, the release of iOS 8, a smart watch, the release of OS X Yosemite, and a number of other possible updates and announcements.

Live Stream:

Apple Live Stream

Liveblogs:

Ars Technica

The Verge

Comments

• JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    This is by far the most excited I've been for an Apple event since the original iPhone launch. I think finally I will be a wholly satisfied iPhone user. The combination of changes in iOS and the large screen form factor is what I've been waiting for. Interapplication extensibility has long been my biggest peeve with iOS, as well as getting information at a glance from third party apps (widgets in the notification panel). And now with the rumored 5.5", I'm set. Those three things were the only things were the only remaining things I've been jealous of the Android camp having. One of the best announced extensibility implementations from third party developers is Microsoft just announced OneNote will have an extensiblity API so you can **** anything from other apps where the devs have used their API.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just want to see how skinny this phone can get. Nothing else is expected really. The other announcements have been made about the latest iOS and they're support for "increased extensibility" with apps
  • chronos42chronos42 Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    RomBUS wrote: »
    Just want to see how skinny this phone can get. Nothing else is expected really. The other announcements have been made about the latest iOS and they're support for "increased extensibility" with apps

I don't know, there are also some rumors going about regarding a much-expanded screen size (4.7" is the going number), and possibly an even bigger option. However, gotta take rumors with a grain of salt...nothing is really known.
    Yes I heard of a rumor of an iPhone 6L (L representing Large) and it will supposedly sport a 5.5" screen size
    RomBUS wrote: »
    Yes I heard of a rumor of an iPhone 6L (L representing Large) and it will supposedly sport a 5.5" screen size

If it does come to fruition, I just hope they call it something other than the 6L. Being Apple, the "L" will obviously be lowercase, and "6l" looks an awful lot like "61".

Maybe "6e" (extended/extra) or "6x"?
  • SurgeSurge Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Definitely on the boat that's hoping for a bigger screen option. Past that I will ride the wave and see what comes out today. Really not sure what to expect outside of the normal stuff they do. Should be interesting though.
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm not really that excited about this iPhone launch, if it's the phone that is in all of the leaks that seem to show a more rounded phone. Then I think I will wait it out for iPhone 6S. I've an iPhone 5S and I'm pretty happy with it so far. Shame that it's such an open secret already.
    Surge wrote: »
    Definitely on the boat that's hoping for a bigger screen option. Past that I will ride the wave and see what comes out today. Really not sure what to expect outside of the normal stuff they do. Should be interesting though.

Not to mention that with the rumored 4.7" screen, the iPhone would be filling that niche recently abandoned by the Moto X/G. There's a lot of demand for (relatively) smaller-screened phones, but nobody is producing them anymore.
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    I'm not really that excited about this iPhone launch, if it's the phone that is in all of the leaks that seem to show a more rounded phone. Then I think I will wait it out for iPhone 6S. I've an iPhone 5S and I'm pretty happy with it so far. Shame that it's such an open secret already.

The "s" versions do always seem to be a lot better. Each major version is "hey, new stuff and things!", and the "s" versions are "okay, now we've finally actually got it right."
    iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 "Plus"
    Looks like Apple has indeed gotten very terrible at hiding secrets lately. The rumors were spot-on.
    chronos42 wrote: »
    Looks like Apple has indeed gotten very terrible at hiding secrets lately. The rumors were spot-on.

Exactly so.
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was expecting it to look like a Tag or Rolex for all the hype. That looks like one of those calculator watches you'd find in the bin at walmart.
    GAngel wrote: »
    I was expecting it to look like a Tag or Rolex for all the hype. That looks like one of those calculator watches you'd find in the bin at walmart.
    Seriously. I looked at these watches, and compared to the clean, crisp flash that is the iPhone, these almost seem like a joke.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's a first attempt watch, the only thing it has going for it hopefully is that Apple controls the operating system so integration with tablets and phones will make it more useful. I liked the Motorola watch the best but then I saw it's battery life....
    Ok I watched Johny Ives' part and that guy could sell me a wad of chewed up gum....

The replaceable different styles bands makes me think this thing will sell plenty.
  • tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    The watch was really something I wanted to see and I'm not really impressed. It's really kind of ugly, in my opinion.

I think the Moto 360 and the Pebble Steel look a lot better. Plus I really only have a couple of watches and don't wear them for functionality, they're just jewelry to me. I really don't see the point of a smart watch beyond the cool fitness features it has. It takes 3 seconds to reach into my pocket and check my smart phone.

Apple - Apple Watch

https://moto360.motorola.com/

https://getpebble.com/steel
    Man I am checking out those bands and there is going to be a killer third party market for the wrist bands.
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    I had higher hopes for the AppleWatch design. Not impressed by the design, but I truly believe its a game changer. I remember my first iPod, although it was ugly, what I received in functionality out-weighed how it looked. And already mentioned, it's a first run at it....so Apple gets the benefit of the doubt. I believe it will only get better over time, even if it inspires competition.

As a security professional I am truly impressed & interested in the new "ApplePay" system and its integration into Apple's product line. Once again revolutionary.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
    I think Apple pulled this watch thing off.. The other Android watches focused on the watch. Apple approached it as a watch and fashion accessory:

Apple - Apple Watch - Gallery
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I found that Apple's Watch to be interesting. What I love more than this is the Amazon Fire Phone dropping down to 99cents! Although the wearable technology trend is going to be an interesting fad to get follow(not necessary get into)There are going to be to many flaws with this technology when it first comes out. Many companies are just imitating Google either with wearable technology or innovative technology in general. Ex: Google Glass or Google's self driving cars. Companies such as Toyota, GM and Ford just follow the trends for self-driving cars or wearable tech such as Intel or Apple or others.