Options

Learning SQL?

kbowen0188kbowen0188 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
I currently work as Help Desk Support and am studying to eventually rise to MS admin. As I research and study, SQL is referenced quite a bit and seems like an extremely handy skill to have, even if I don't plan on making it the main focus of my career.

Would any of you kind folks happen to know of any websites, books or training videos that would help give a total beginner a solid foundation?

Comments

• Options
    DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
    You need to figure out which relational database language you want to use. MySQL is a common one. I suggest you look into Head First SQL. It teaches you SQL using MySQL. The language I used to learn SQL is PostgreSQL.
  • Options
    NutsacjacNutsacjac Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    I learned a lot from SQLZOO
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    So much stuff for system admin - right now I am trying to get my mcsa - home lab, i have ccent - eventually i want to get my CCNA - also trying to get VCP5 certified so I'm taking a course at my local community college for it

in addition it seems like we need to know a little of linux - sql - and some sort of programming language - pearl/python/java ect. - right now i'm just concentrating on VCP5 and MCSA 70-410
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    gbdavidx wrote: »
    So much stuff for system admin - right now I am trying to get my mcsa - home lab, i have ccent - eventually i want to get my CCNA - also trying to get VCP5 certified so I'm taking a course at my local community college for it

in addition it seems like we need to know a little of linux - sql - and some sort of programming language - pearl/python/java ect. - right now i'm just concentrating on VCP5 and MCSA 70-410

I feel myself pulled a dozen ways.

I'm working on my associates degree but as I try to decide my career path I just keep adding things to the list lol.
    right now I set up a home lab with a few 2008 servers. My goal is to mess around to 2008 then follow a certification path for 2012 to get a better understanding.
  • Options
    LauraMalaveLauraMalave Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    W3Schools's SQL Tutorial is also a great resource for learning SQL. The 'Try It Yourself' lets you run and edit/test the code directly in the browser.