Options

Network Diagrams

bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
So, I was recently tasked with creating a high level diagram for one of our smaller branches just to get me familiar with out network, I have since been asked to create network documentation for all of our US offices, well, I asked if I could and was given permission. With that said my Visio skills suck and I am looking for some guidance on how to create a clean and informative diagram that is adaptable. The diagram that I created for our small branch just looks sloppy in my opinion, I used the Cisco stencils which is cool but I cant figure out how to keep it looking clean with all of our redundant connections, currently I am connecting devices using the line feature as the connect feature has a mind of its own and just doesnt seem to do what I want. I am looking for advice on illustrating the connections in a straight forward manner while keeping the overall appearance clean.

So here is what I was thinking of doing, I would be greatful for any input. I was thinking of creating a high level diagram of each location using the generic symbols this time, I would illustrate each WAN connection with a cloud to its corresponding location and make them hyperlinks to the diagrams of said location, furthermore I planned to make each device a hyperlink to a layer 3 diagram of each individual device illustrating IP addresses and VLAN information. It had crossed my mind that this may be cumbersome however, not just in the sense of creating it (which I dont mind, I have a TON of free time and I want to make an impression here) but also in the sense that each hyperlink that is clicked will open a new instance of Visio for the viewer.

Any advice, resources, or examples on what has worked for others would be great, thanks!
If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one

Comments

• Options
    LauraMalaveLauraMalave Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    RateMyNetworkDiagram.com is a website that allows users to upload and then vote on network diagrams. This is a good place to see a lot of examples of network diagrams of a variety of sizes.
  • Options
    RateMyNetworkDiagram.com is a website that allows users to upload and then vote on network diagrams. This is a good place to see a lot of examples of network diagrams of a variety of sizes.

+1 for you, that just the type of resource I was looking for. Thanks!
    If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    So let us know what devices are there at the site, I can maybe throw something together real quick for you. I tend to split a site into two tabs L1/L2 and L3
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you company has the money, Netbrain allows you to make some awesome Visio drawings.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    So let us know what devices are there at the site, I can maybe throw something together real quick for you. I tend to split a site into two tabs L1/L2 and L3

Well our main site has 41 layer 2 switches, 2 layer 3 switches, 2 routers attached to our primary network and 1 just routing a test network to the internet, 1 wireless management device and 17 APs. However, I want to start with the smaller sites so the one I am working on now has 7 layer 2 switches with 1 and 2 acting as the "Core" switches, they are the same model as all of the others, we have one router at that location that connects to switches 1 and 2, aside from that we have 5 APs that connect to various switches. We also have 10 VLANs with a ROAS setup.
    Hondabuff wrote: »
    If you company has the money, Netbrain allows you to make some awesome Visio drawings.

Very intriguing, I think I may give the trial a shot just to see what its all about, thanks!