Options

Jr. securtiy analyst

2230622306 Member Posts: 223 ■■□□□□□□□□
is this requirement fit for a Jr Security analyst ?
Position requirements include:

· A BA degree in IT or related discipline.​ Degree may be substituted for 4 additional, relevant years of IA experience above required 2-7 years IA experience.​
· CISSP certification.​
· 2-7 years of Information Assurance experience which includes 1-3 years FISMA related experience.​
· US Citizenship.​
· Minimum Secret clearance.​

if someone has been doing IA for 2+ would that person be considered Jr level?

Comments

• Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Personally, I wouldn't consider them a Jr. Analyst after 2 years of experience... After 2, I would most likely remove the "Jr." qualifier.

It's stuff like this that really illustrates how messed up the staffing is for Info/Cyber Security type jobs. Everybody seems to want a super JOAT type who specializes in infosec. Its utterly ridiculous.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    richnewmanrichnewman Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm looking for a new job now and outside of the larger contracting companies, I see entry level and junior used for 2+ years of experience pretty often. I saw another posting for 1 year of network admin experience and it mentioned CCNP several times. I try not to get worked up about it.. until/unless I get desperate, I just don't apply at those places.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is mid level 7-14 years, masters degree and senior is that you've had part on constructing the internet?
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    dmoore44 wrote: »
    It's stuff like this that really illustrates how messed up the staffing is for Info/Cyber Security type jobs. Everybody seems to want a super JOAT type who specializes in infosec. Its utterly ridiculous.

I'm starting to see a lot more InfoSec job posts where they are really going for the kitchen sink approach and are asking for GRC experience (policies and procedures work, COBIT, risk management, etc), technical security experience (IDS/IPS, firewalls, SIEM, pentesting, vulnerability assessments, log scanning, etc), AND programming (Python, C/C++, Ruby, etc), and sometimes asking for 5-10 years in all of it. Are there really that many boss status InfoSec folks with all of that experience just out there waiting for a job?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    PupilPupil Member Posts: 168
    Some companies internally match titles to pay bands. CISSP requires at least 4 years of infosec experience. I wouldn't consider someone a junior at that point.
  • Options
    DrethylDrethyl Member Posts: 121 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am really leaning towards Security Analyst as my first job out of college if I can get in. The requirements for a few of the companies in my area are Bachelor's Degree with security certification a plus. There is no mention about prior years experience or anything along those lines. Could it be because they give you a majority of the training there and only expect you to do what they train you to do? For instance use encase as a main tool during investigation procedures?