Certification/Career Path - Advice Please

urstuffplz1urstuffplz1 Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I posted a while back with a plan which was ruined and destroyed from the input that I had received on here, to which I am thankful for as it saves me time and money. However, I am back with another plan and I would like to see what you all think.

I live in the UK and I am in the process of leaving the British Army. I have worked in IT and Telecommunications for the last 5 years working on Cisco backbone networks and telecommunication equipment that use SMTP and VoIP. I have done the basic networking such as configuration of terminals, routers and switches and RF equipment. I have also provided 1st and 2nd line desktop support to senior management roles fixing broken computers, peripherals etc and as far as replacing components such as hard drivers and re-installing software and OS on them.

I haven't got any formal qualifications, except for a Level 3 advanced Apprenticeship in IT and Telecommunications. I have recently attended a CCNA course through my work, although I am not quite ready for the exam I am hoping to pass this in the near future. Through work, I realized that I had only been working on CCENT Cisco stuff.

At the end of October I am beginning a 6 week (2 week on, 2 off, 2 on) course on Windows Server 2008 R2, where they teach me all the theory and what to do to prepare me for the 3 exams. It's only £300 for the course, which in my eyes is very cheap.

Furthermore I have been studing BSc (Hons) Computing and IT with the Open University, and I am beginning my second year in October. I am moving onto learning Java and Python in depth, as well as Web technologies next year. I have been doing this part time, again, paid for by work.

Finally, I will be doing ITIL Foundation through work as well, free of charge and just pay for the exam, seems to come up all the time in job descriptions.

I am not sure what I should do after I have completed my CCNA and Windows Server 2008 R2. My degree is going to take another 4 years, but that's irrelevant as this is more for interest. What do you guys recommend I do? I have allowances to use up and I am not 100% sure where or what I can do.

Thank you for any help,

Stephen.
2018 Goals: CCNP Route 300-101[X], CCNP Switch 300-115[X], CCNP T'Shoot 300-135[X], VCP-DCV 6[], 70-412[], 70-413[], 70-414[]

Comments

• DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I think your on the right track. Stick it out with the CCNA and MCSA. Getting those two certification will open doors for you and since your employed in the IT industry it helps to work with others that know the subject matter.

As for the suggestions on this forum; I would look at them with a grain of sand. Take them constructively but not always literally. At the end of the day you are your own worst enemy; its how you interpret things that matters the most. :)