Options

Port Mirroring - Wireshark

Anyone ever done this? If so can you explain how you did it? I think it's done using netflow, but I can't seem to find any concrete how to on it. icon_sad.gif

Comments

• Options
    jem7skjem7sk Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've done it on a Dell Switch. It is part of the port properties you can change.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    try this link I didn't read it all but it looks like what your interested in. I think I played with span in my home lab last year but I might have just been reading about it. I don't actually recall which.

Catalyst Switched Port Analyzer (SPAN) Configuration Example - Cisco
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Member Posts: 180
    I have done it on HP, on cisco you create a SPAN port. You specify a source VLAN or port and destination port but the config is a bit different depending on switch you want to do it.

Catalyst Switched Port Analyzer (SPAN) Configuration Example - Cisco
    2016 Goals: CCNP R&S, CCNA Security, CCNP Security
    LinkedIn
  • Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You're basically directing all traffic to a source port or vlan. The destination port can either be either be on the local switch or another switch on your network. A few things to note before we get into configuration:

-when you implement the destination port, you are overwriting it's current configuration
    -pvlans and port security are also not supported on the destination port

For a basic configuration, you basically state which two ports will communicate the monitored traffic.
    -monitor session 1 source "interface blah"
    -monitor session 1 destination "interface blah"

I work a lot with control systems and generally use this or a raspberry Pi just to maintain situational awareness of my environment. It does get more in depth, but this is just the basics.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    Magic JohnsonMagic Johnson Member Posts: 414
    So I could do

test#(config)monitor session 1 source interface fe0 < LAN unmanaged switch uplinktest#(config)monitor session 1 destination interface dialer1 < PPPoE int for DSL

This means I am monitoring traffic coming from my LAN out in to the WAN?

How do I get the capture in to Wireshark?
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Member Posts: 180
    I might be wrong but destination would be where you sending the mirrored traffic.

So what you would generally do is span a specific VLAN or port to another port to which you have a server or pc connected running wireshark capturing the traffic to be analyzed.
    2016 Goals: CCNP R&S, CCNA Security, CCNP Security
    LinkedIn
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Nothing to add to the discussion, just tagging this for my use later :) Cool stuff.
  • Options
    Staunchy wrote: »
    I might be wrong but destination would be where you sending the mirrored traffic.

So what you would generally do is span a specific VLAN or port to another port to which you have a server or pc connected running wireshark capturing the traffic to be analyzed.

Yep, you're correct. A sniffer or some sort device will have to be configured on the destination side to receive the traffic.
  • Options
    tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here are the notes I have for setting up a port mirroring session on a dell powerconnect switch
    Login into the switch
    Switching > Traffic Mirroring > Port Mirroring
    Add > Add Source port/s (port you want to monitor) (you can monitor up to 4 ports)
    Apply changes
    Go back to port mirroring page and set the destination port
    Set admin mode to "Enable" to start mirroring
    Run wireshark to capture traffic.

Destination port will be the pc that has wireshark on it
    Source will be the port you want to monitor
  • Options
    Is the traffic capture bidirectional then?

monitor session 1 source interface dialer1 < DSL port

monitor session 1 destination interface fe3 < port my laptop is connected to

Run wireshark on my laptop and hey we have a mirror of all traffic sent to and recieved from the dialer interface?
  • Options
    Not sure if I understand your question. Source ports are the one you want to monitor, destination port is where the info is delivered to...
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    broli720 wrote: »
    I work a lot with control systems and generally use this or a raspberry Pi just to maintain situational awareness of my environment.

Curious, (if you're mirroring to something like Wireshark) do you use any capture/display filters or just pcap it all? What are the parameters for logs, including length of time kept, rollover period, etc?

I'll be doing this soon to assist in a federal investigation and haven't decided how I want to configure the pcap side of things.
  • Options
    broli720 wrote: »
    Not sure if I understand your question. Source ports are the one you want to monitor, destination port is where the info is delivered to...

Does it capture inbound and outbound traffic? Or do you have to add a ingress or egress or something in?
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I think you're still stuck on the netflow side of things.

Wireshark simply captures packets, which includes both inbound and outbound directions.
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    For Cisco by default it will capture on the source session both receving and outgoing traffic. If you wanna configure it to just to capture receiving traffic it is monitor session 1 source interface <x/x> rx (monitors received traffic only) or for outgoing traffic monitor session 1 source interface <x/x> tx

**Also if you dont have a wireshark or sniffing server directly connected to that switch, I would highly suggest using ERSPAN or EPC. Here's a good tutorial for ERSPAN ERSPAN
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    Guys, you're all legends. Thanks for this. I was asked for a wireshark trace using port mirroring by a third party company with a product behind our connectivity and I was a bit embarrassed I didn't know how to achieve this!
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Forget about being embarrassed. You cant learn something until you run through at least once. Now you know. I learn "obvious" things almost everyday.