Options

Suggestions for VCP 510 classes that service Minnesota? Got kind of screwed by VMware

ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
So originally I was told via our business partner that the class requirement would be waived, and all I had to do was pass the exam and I would receive certification. After the certification didn't show up in my portal for a few days, I contacted VMware, and they informed me that my MSP is not at a partner level where we are eligible to have the class waived.

I fought it a bit, saying I was told it would not be required and they should stand by their word, but they've made it clear they won't even strike a compromise like a discounted VCP voucher.

So the thing about the class not being waived is that Stanley CC does not offer courses in MN, and I am not sure if there are any alternatives under $1000 that I can afford. After I got over being pissed off about VMware going back on what they told me, I just want the certification.

Was wondering if anyone knows of some other cheaper online schools that offer VCP510 courses specifically in the state of MN, or just a list in general?

I appreciate any input!

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wow that sucks. I took mine at New Horizons in Eagan and it was around $3k I think. Maybe since your employer misinformed you they can help you pay for it?

One option would be to get the VCP-NX which currently doesn't have a class requirement then your class requirement for the VCP-DCV should be waived.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You should be able to take it here as I did - VMWare Certification - North Lake College
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    Thanks for the link datacomboss, I think I've looked at that before, but I will be damned if I can find the course schedule anywhere on that site - do you know if there is a certain link I need to click on the get schedule info?

I also emailed the instructor, not sure if that really the only way to get course info, again thanks for the heads up on that.

EDIT -

He did get back to me almost immediately saying this semester is full and to email him in December, but left out any sort of pricing for the classes, would you be willing to let me in on how much you paid for the course data?
  • Options
    Thanks much, hell of a time navigating their web page, if I can get into their spring course and they serve MN residents I will be set.

Many thanks again you two!
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ande0255 wrote: »
    So originally I was told via our business partner that the class requirement would be waived, and all I had to do was pass the exam and I would receive certification. After the certification didn't show up in my portal for a few days, I contacted VMware, and they informed me that my MSP is not at a partner level where we are eligible to have the class waived.

So your partner gave you bad info and it's somehow VMware's fault?
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    No, our VMware partner rep (VMware employee) had given the vendor relations manager at my company bad info saying the class would not be needed to obtain the certification, which I have a paper trail of emails saying in no uncertain terms that I only needed to pass the VCP510 exam to obtain certification.

I'm not pissed that I have to take the class like everyone else, but had a promotion and raise hinging on receiving this certification, which is now up in the air as far as I know because I did not receive my certification as I was told by VMware.

So the short answer, yes, I believe that is VMware's fault.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ah, ok. Thanks for the clarification. The partner rep should have verified that what he was stating was correct.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    GSXRulesGSXRules Member Posts: 109
    Only Premier Partners and for a while only select Premier Partners could take advantage of this. It was over I think in May.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    ande0255 wrote: »
    No, our VMware partner rep (VMware employee) had given the vendor relations manager at my company bad info saying the class would not be needed to obtain the certification, which I have a paper trail of emails saying in no uncertain terms that I only needed to pass the VCP510 exam to obtain certification.

I'm not pissed that I have to take the class like everyone else, but had a promotion and raise hinging on receiving this certification, which is now up in the air as far as I know because I did not receive my certification as I was told by VMware.

So the short answer, yes, I believe that is VMware's fault.

Ok, so you won't receive a promotion because you don't have a piece of paper? Isn't you knowing the material and being able to demonstrate those skills the important piece? I understand how partnerships work but still can you just sit the class and get the cert or do you have to sit the class then the exam again?
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    can you just sit the class and get the cert or do you have to sit the class then the exam again?

He will only have to sit in the class so long he pass when he took it. Once the course appears on his transcript, he will be VCP certified
  • Options
    I will just need the class, I didn't realize there was options that were under the $2k mark for MN, as Stanley doesn't offer his online course to MN residents and I was having a hard time finding any other options at a reasonable price.

Unfortunately in this scenario it is actually that piece of paper more than my newly acquired set of skills that would justify a promotion, which is what really burnt me about the situation, as now I will have to wait until at least my year end review if not until I finish that course to receive certification (and this was a very significant promotion and bump in pay).

I just hope their tuition rate stays the same and doesn't jump to $1-2k for the spring semester training, cause after VMware told me complete BS then said "tough ****" as their solution, I'm not very happy with them as a company.

@GSXRules - You are completely right except that it ended June 30th which I missed, but could have tested and passed before that date had it ever been disclosed by the VMware employee that there was some sort of time constraint / promotional period to test without the class. I even double checked the information with the employee twice, which both times he confirmed I was good to go, which is why it really ticks me off that VMware is not offering to do anything to rectify the situation.

I'll hopefully get into that Spring class though and VMware will not be getting another dime of my money ever again.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    lol..wow! At least the hard part is over, now you can sit in a class and play around with the labs etc.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?