Options

Career change into the world of IT from Accounting

puerrican85puerrican85 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Thought I take a break from my studies and introduce myself like everyone else has in the forums. Took the 801 yesterday and passed with 809/900 and scheduled 802 for tomorrow. Took a week to go over both tests, felt very confident despite scheduling so close as I have been using pcs and configuring basic to advanced consumer hardware for well over 18+ years. Hell I felt old when the pulled out the IDE and AGP questions. -_-

About Me:

I recently fell in to the dreaded but much appreciated realization of almost hitting the "30" mark and realized I hate my career icon_cheers.gif! Life as an accountant was simply too boring for my taste and became too much of a hassle with ever increasing difficulty of dealing with multiple agencies.. Federal, State, Local, Labor Department, Unemployment Department of the Labor Department, the list went on and on, worse when you deal with multiple states as well. Not to mention pay was not as great. Even with my Enrolled Agent license and working self-employed I never truly felt in charge. Possibly going for the CPA and going in to the corporate world also did not look as favorable in terms of workload and pay. It became obvious I was not happy and that I should take a chance in to something else I always wanted to.

I always worked with computers for most of my life. Since I was a kid my first PC was a gateway Pentium when windows 95 yet to exist, and my first pc I got to tinker with was a Gateway 2000 with a Pentium 2 - 400mhz icon_silent.gif. Since then I have used computers ever since. I have also been heavily involved as the IT guy in my firm from handling day to day issues, server maintenance, light to basic network support, and printer maintenance for over 10+ years as well giving me the experience I needed.

I got into to Accounting through my Father running his own firm, like most kids influenced by parents I felt the need to takeover the family business. Went for my Bachelors and shortly after took the EA exam, CPA changes required the Master/or more credits which I refused to pay even more $$ for as is. Forward to today and I regret not taking the more logical path in my life. Going through the A+ topics as I read and I feel like at home, most of it being basic stuff for anyone using computers for multiple years. Some topics, while redundant in some areas due to age of tech covered, definitely touched on areas I need to study further in. However, with the practice tests online, CertMaster, and online videos I feel like I can nail this A+ - 802 tomorrow. If not I'll put in another week and iron out the sections I need work in.

There that's my story and now back to my studies and cramming.icon_study.gif

(FYI not sure but typing on the site is giving me a hard time, feel like I have to go half the normal speed when typing or characters aren't registered. Anyone else experience that?)

Comments

• Options
    chronos42chronos42 Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the forum, and best of luck in your endeavours! Let us know how you do on the 802 :)
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to the forums!
    This site has been a great resource for me over the last year as I am working on a career changes also.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    with your accounting background, have you consider working with Great Plains or one of the other financial software packages?
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    You mean Great Plains / Microsoft Dynamics?? If so that's diving into developing a business solution for the user end which is something very few of my clients would utilize sadly. Today many of my clients barely handled QuickBooks which is in my opinion more of a hassle than it was worth. I have yet to encounter any client to utilize the software properly leaving me with additional work with the clients assumption that I should do for free on top of other service. No thank you lol. Besides while I have pretty advanced skill set dealing with financial applications, coding or developing is not one of them. And consulting is not something I wish to go into. Clients never listened to instructions to begin with and after 10+ years you start to lose interest in trying to tell people what to do. At least with how to run their business anyway.

No, my passions is working with computers, hardware, and soon advanced networking.
  • Options
    Its official, passed ^_^. Glad to have this put behind me. Now either on to Network+ or CCENT/CCNA