Options

IP Address Question (CISCO Packet Tracer)

SyliceSylice Member Posts: 100
Why cant an ip address of 192.168.1.121 ping an ip address of 192.168.2.204?

Comments

• Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What's the subnet mask? Assuming that the 192.168.1.x and the 192.168.2.x have the same /24 subnet mask, they are in different networks and can't see each other. The members of the 1.x are in the range of 1.1 - 1.254 etc for the 2.x club
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    mikeybinec wrote: »
    What's the subnet mask? Assuming that the 192.168.1.x and the 192.168.2.x have the same /24 subnet mask, they are in different networks and can't see each other. The members of the 1.x are in the range of 1.1 - 1.254 etc for the 2.x club

Thats what I figured..

So, devices with an I.P of 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.255 cant communicate with devices with an I.P of 192.168.2.1-192.168.2.255 in vice versa?

And why cant they?
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Sylice wrote: »
    Thats what I figured..

So, devices with an I.P of 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.255 cant communicate with devices with an I.P of 192.168.2.1-192.168.2.255 in vice versa?

And why cant they?

Where are you in your studies? You should find this answer yourself with little reading.

Why can't someone who speaks German communicate with someone who speaks Japanese? Before that can happen they are going to need something to allow them to understand each other. Same with IP segments.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    Im not going by any books yet, I am just playing around with it lol. I will be getting a book soon though.

But so far, I have a little network up and running perfectly:

• Options
    Binary FreakBinary Freak Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sylice wrote: »
    Im not going by any books yet, I am just playing around with it lol. I will be getting a book soon though.

But so far, I have a little network up and running perfectly:

Not bad..

In the meantime you should probably learn the basics from watching some videos before you start fiddling with the CLI. :)
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The device in the middle will allow the two subnets to communicate.

On a very basic level you can think of switches moving traffic in the same subnet and routers moving traffic between subnets.

There is a lot more to it then that but starting out it's not a bad way to think about it. Do yourself a favor. Switch to simulation mode and follow the packets. They describe each step and will tell you why packets fail.
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ^^^^ As for the OP's original question, in a basic ARP able network, the 2.X and 1.x can communicate with each other. The router in the middle sees the two network as directly connected
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would recommend studying for your Network+. It will answer a lot of basic questions.
  • Options
    Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    markulous wrote: »
    I would recommend studying for your Network+. It will answer a lot of basic questions.

I agree with markulous.

The default gateway is what will allow different networks to communicate with each other. Without it, you won't be able to ping it, unless you're on the same network.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Justin- wrote: »
    I agree with markulous.

The default gateway is what will allow different networks to communicate with each other. Without it, you won't be able to ping it, unless you're on the same network.

How does a Default Gateway "allow different networks to communicate with each other"? So if I configure a switch with an IP of 192.168.1.254/24 and my PC is 192.168.1.1/24 and the DG set to .254 I should then be able to communicate with another IP segment, say 192.168.2.0/24? Hmm, can you explain how that would work?
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How does a Default Gateway "allow different networks to communicate with each other"? So if I configure a switch with an IP of 192.168.1.254/24 and my PC is 192.168.1.1/24 and the DG set to .254 I should then be able to communicate with another IP segment, say 192.168.2.0/24? Hmm, can you explain how that would work?

He probably meant to say router :/