Options

eLearnSecurity - Practical Network Defense (PND)

docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
Saw this pop up on my radar. I'm curious what it's going to be like.

https://www.elearnsecurity.com/resources/webinars/pnd-early-bird

Let's say it together: Cyber, cyber, cyber security.
Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/

Comments

• Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm interested, but the syllabus looks like too much engineering and installation of net defense devices. This course needs to be about detection, analysis, ect.
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I skimmed through the syllabus and it didn't look overly tool-centric to me, but that said I'd also hope that there's a lot of analytical focus. Teaching that is hard and requires a lot of cognitive effort which makes developing the instructional approach a bit more difficult.

We need more analysis-centric courses out there for sure. I think SANS does a great job at this, but a lot of people can't afford their offerings. There's a great opportunity for someone to create more online material to effectively help organizations become less dependent on shiny vendor appliances and more on human thinking.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You know it's funny that you talk about analysis courses. My buddy (who I work with) is in the Naval Reserve and developed a CISSP course for them. I was saying to him, since he is finishing his Masters, that there are few if any courses in cyber analysis. I have a vision of building courses at a community college level where you work sole on analysis. We do it now at work and with a combo of custom tools along with our analysis skills we've picked up a lot of interesting things.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    You know it's funny that you talk about analysis courses. My buddy (who I work with) is in the Naval Reserve and developed a CISSP course for them. I was saying to him, since he is finishing his Masters, that there are few if any courses in cyber analysis. I have a vision of building courses at a community college level where you work sole on analysis. We do it now at work and with a combo of custom tools along with our analysis skills we've picked up a lot of interesting things.

Actually I have a similar dream, opening a college with 4 year degrees, for the IT degree you would spend years focusing on different areas, including hands on IT Security, so they would spend (at least a semester) doing analysis.
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It definitely looks thorough.
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Any idea on the cost of this?
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    zxbane wrote: »
    Any idea on the cost of this?

Judging by their other courses, around $700-$900 depending on the level?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    diggitlediggitle Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just watched the webinar received a 20% off coupon code....

c colon i net pub dubdubdub root
  • Options
    5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Barebone - $599
    Full - $699
    Elite - $899
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This actually looks good. I see they are providing a PDF document with this course. That is something I wish I had available to me in their student pen testing course.

edit: Just noticed the certification process: https://www.elearnsecurity.com/certification/endp/process.php
  • Options
    realPSIrealPSI Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have enrolled and probably will start in Dec/Jan. I work with ICS everyday and think this cert will really help with my current job and in the future.
  • Options
    AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    realPSI wrote: »
    I work with ICS everyday...

If you work with ICS, I suggest that you take the ICS Cybersecurity (301) - 5 days course:
    https://ics-cert.us-cert.gov/Training-Available-Through-ICS-CERT#workshop

This event consists of industrial control systems cybersecurity training and a Red Team / Blue Team exercise:
    • Day 1 - Welcome, overview of the DHS Control Systems Security Program, a brief review of cybersecurity for Industrial Control Systems, a demonstration showing how a control system can be attacked from the internet, and hands-on classroom training on Network Discovery techniques and practices.
    • Day 2 - Hands-On classroom training on Network Discovery, using Metasploit, and separating into Red and Blue Teams.
    • Day 3 - Hands-On classroom training on Network Exploitation, Network Defense techniques and practices, and Red and Blue Team strategy meetings.
    • Day 4 - 10-hour exercise where participants are either attacking (Red Team) or defending (Blue Team). The Blue Team is tasked with providing the cyber defense for a corporate environment, and with maintaining operations to a batch mixing plant, and an electrical distribution SCADA system.
    • Day 5 - Red Team/Blue Team exercise lessons learned and round-table discussion.

Who Should Attend?

Members of the industrial control systems community associated with IT and process control network operations and security, operations or management of critical infrastructure (CI) assets and facilities as well as those who provide CI components and software development.

Registration

The class size is limited to approximately 40 people. Please note that priority is given to North American critical infrastructure asset owners, operators, and vendors. International applicants should check the calendar for international course dates.

That course is offered FREE by the DHS. I'm in Idaho Falls right now attending it. I was in the Red Team and we won the competition yesterday. You need to register early because this course is very popular and there's a waiting list. I've registered two months in advance and I think that they did a background check on me and confirmed my registration one month later. With the PND course, you should be in the Blue Team.
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
  • Options
    chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    Signed up this course with them :)
  • Options
    JaxinJaxin Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    AlexNguyen wrote: »
    If you work with ICS, I suggest that you take the ICS Cybersecurity (301) - 5 days course:https://ics-cert.us-cert.gov/Training-Available-Through-ICS-CERT#workshopThis event consists of industrial control systems cybersecurity training and a Red Team / Blue Team exercise:
    • Day 1 - Welcome, overview of the DHS Control Systems Security Program, a brief review of cybersecurity for Industrial Control Systems, a demonstration showing how a control system can be attacked from the internet, and hands-on classroom training on Network Discovery techniques and practices.
    • Day 2 - Hands-On classroom training on Network Discovery, using Metasploit, and separating into Red and Blue Teams.
    • Day 3 - Hands-On classroom training on Network Exploitation, Network Defense techniques and practices, and Red and Blue Team strategy meetings.
    • Day 4 - 10-hour exercise where participants are either attacking (Red Team) or defending (Blue Team). The Blue Team is tasked with providing the cyber defense for a corporate environment, and with maintaining operations to a batch mixing plant, and an electrical distribution SCADA system.
    • Day 5 - Red Team/Blue Team exercise lessons learned and round-table discussion.
    Who Should Attend?Members of the industrial control systems community associated with IT and process control network operations and security, operations or management of critical infrastructure (CI) assets and facilities as well as those who provide CI components and software development. RegistrationThe class size is limited to approximately 40 people. Please note that priority is given to North American critical infrastructure asset owners, operators, and vendors. International applicants should check the calendar for international course dates.That course is offered FREE by the DHS. I'm in Idaho Falls right now attending it. I was in the Red Team and we won the competition yesterday. You need to register early because this course is very popular and there's a waiting list. I've registered two months in advance and I think that they did a background check on me and confirmed my registration one month later. With the PND course, you should be in the Blue Team.
    I second this for anyone involved in ICS security. I attended it a year ago (also on the Red team, we also won :D). The actual training isn't meant to make anyone an expert in pentesting or defending ICS systems, and a lot of the participants aren't necessarily technical. You'll have every type of person involved in the ICS world, from control room operators to managers to developers (if you're on the red team, try to get an ICS operator, it's very helpful once you penetrate into the critical network, get on an HMI, and then wonder what to do ;)). But all of that said, it's a great worthwhile experience.