Complete dilemma, stay or go

thronetmthronetm Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys

I've came across the most hardest decision in my life and no matter how many times I try I just cannot make my mind up.

Currently do mostly helpdesk work at current job but got an offer to join a company implementing Microsoft solutions like Exchange and System Center to enterprise companies. Career wise it would be a good move for me and it means getting off the helpdesk but I received a counter offer from my current company

$3k more than the job offer and they have promised to gradually move me away from helpdesk and in to a more implementation field-based role withint the next 1/1.5 years. They are a great company I can work from home, on-site parking, laid back and they are generous with nights out (team bonding etc.) however the implementation type work won't be high level and mostly deploying servers/PCs to small-midsize businesses who choose for example to migrate from their Server 2008 DC/Fileservers to 2012 and migrate PCs etc.. Also I will still be stuck on the helpdesk for the good part of a year while we push out implementation work in my area and the helpdesk frustrates me I feel burnt out.

The offer company don't provide parking as it's in the city so I would probably turn to public transport but they deal with large customers around the world so I definitely see career progression. There will be no option to work from home nor I highly doubt there would be large company events but there may be the chance of travel to different customers and implement services which I would enjoy considering they have a dispersed customer base around the globe. Plus I would get to learn products like System Center which has always been of interest but not applicable to implement to small customers.

The dilemma is I want to progress my career and get in to larger enterprise level work but I am finding it hard to want to leave my current company as they have the perks like working from home and out of work events and treat their staff great but I won't get the same career advancement which at the same time is what I really want. I wonder if I pass on it would I get the opportunity again. icon_sad.gif
Also I feel if I take the new job it will set me up nicely for if I wanted to move on a few years down the line to even bigger and better things, which would come with more money.

Any advice?
Thanks

Comments

• docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Based on what I'm reading here, it breaks down to deciding between looking after your career or enjoying some existing comforts. I don't know how the job market is where you're located, but in general if you really want to learn more about the digital ecosystem and how things fit together, you'll have to occasionally stray into unfamiliar territory and test yourself.

Helpdesk work is dead-end if you simmer in it for too long, even if your current organization makes promises. Think about what and where you want to be within three years.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    This is actually quite common thread on here and other IT boards. The overall consensus is to NOT take the counter offer. Why?

Well if the company is more than willing to do a counter offer now, why didn't they do it before you had another offer? Why are you all of a sudden worth more now, but not the day before you got the new position offered with the other company? Also, usually the first people to go when things get tough at a company are those who accepted a counter offer. It is just a trend in this industry.

If the new position gives you chance for growth in the direction you want, simply accept it, and thank your current company for the time you were there. That way you are not burning any bridges.
  • darrincreamer@yahoo.comdarrincreamer@yahoo.com Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just made a similar decision two weeks ago. I took the other position even though it was out of my comfort zone. In this field you need to diversify your skillset. I have help desk and NOC experience but was missing systems administration so I took a 3,000 dollar a year pay cut to take my current position and so far have not been disapointed.

I agree that you have to sit back and think about where you want to be in three years and which path puts you closer to that goal.
  • CerebroCerebro Member Posts: 108
    I once took a pay cut for promises in career progression. I worked for this company before and so knew the people. But shortly after joining, the manager got bumped up the ladder...and the promises were fake. I even heard him say later, "don't trust anyone, not even me!" So I would say go for the higher paid job and use the money to invest in training. That way you are assured of progression.
    2014 goals: ICND2[]

• tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    Better for your career = more $$ long term. Don't be short sighted. Invest in yourself and your career. You'll receive exponential returns.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • nman99nman99 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thronetm wrote: »
    Hi guys

I've came across the most hardest decision in my life and no matter how many times I try I just cannot make my mind up.

Currently do mostly helpdesk work at current job but got an offer to join a company implementing Microsoft solutions like Exchange and System Center to enterprise companies. Career wise it would be a good move for me and it means getting off the helpdesk but I received a counter offer from my current company

$3k more than the job offer and they have promised to gradually move me away from helpdesk and in to a more implementation field-based role withint the next 1/1.5 years. They are a great company I can work from home, on-site parking, laid back and they are generous with nights out (team bonding etc.) however the implementation type work won't be high level and mostly deploying servers/PCs to small-midsize businesses who choose for example to migrate from their Server 2008 DC/Fileservers to 2012 and migrate PCs etc.. Also I will still be stuck on the helpdesk for the good part of a year while we push out implementation work in my area and the helpdesk frustrates me I feel burnt out.

The offer company don't provide parking as it's in the city so I would probably turn to public transport but they deal with large customers around the world so I definitely see career progression. There will be no option to work from home nor I highly doubt there would be large company events but there may be the chance of travel to different customers and implement services which I would enjoy considering they have a dispersed customer base around the globe. Plus I would get to learn products like System Center which has always been of interest but not applicable to implement to small customers.

The dilemma is I want to progress my career and get in to larger enterprise level work but I am finding it hard to want to leave my current company as they have the perks like working from home and out of work events and treat their staff great but I won't get the same career advancement which at the same time is what I really want. I wonder if I pass on it would I get the opportunity again. icon_sad.gif
    Also I feel if I take the new job it will set me up nicely for if I wanted to move on a few years down the line to even bigger and better things, which would come with more money.

Any advice?
    Thanks

Throne,

I have been in this situation also, and what I can tell you is that generally you should never take a counter offer. By putting in your notice you have already showed "disloyalty", as much as you might believe that over time they will forget about your actions, in the end they won't (this will come back to bite you at some point if you accept the counter offer). As far as the extra 3k goes, I believe your best bet would be to jump into the Sysadmin role immediately rather than waiting on "promises" (also assuming that these are not going to be in writing) to come around in 1 to 1.5 years. To me, the 1 to 1.5 years of waiting for a possible (nothing is guaranteed) promotion is not worth the 3k extra / year, get yourself into the job you really want to be doing now and figure out the money later (ie, if the money is that important, do this new job for a few years to get experience and move on if they don't increase your compensation).

Hope this helps,

nman
  • Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Take the new job because in 1 -1.5 years could easily turn into 2-3 years and the folks that made the promises may possibly not be there anymore. Any new management is automatically absolved of fulfilling the promises of the previous management. Think long term and improve your skillset.
  • thronetmthronetm Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys

It was a difficult decision, but I have chosen to move to the new company. I start in a few weeks. I'm excited to get to work with System Center and more enterprise level Microsoft solutions with companies around the world.

Thanks
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree with your choice. The only career goal in help-desk should be to get out of help-desk.

I believe the only time I would consider a counter offer is if it was an immediate transfer to another department. I think it would have to be under a new manager to make it work for me. Once you have indicated your desire to leave you just don't know how the manager will take it.

Good Luck in the new position.