practice lab setup

jkstechjkstech Member Posts: 330
not the setup, but what is a good configuration to have

i am using vmware, on a laptop with 2gb of ram so the ram isn't an issue

i am setting up a team (virtual network that acts as one virtual machine)

i read johan had a setup with a domain controller and a terminal server/IIS

i currently have one server and two xp clients, besides setting up a terminal server what else would be a "must" to play around with, i also want to set up a vpn/remote server

so after all that rambling my basic question is....
what configuration will give me the best overall practice( i had planned on adding servers/clients as i saw fit, but i just want a few suggestions on what you guys are starting out with)

i have access to most of microsoft's products through my jobs liscense agreement, i can use them all for training
get back to studying!!!

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    With IIS and TS you got the most important two covered. I used a separate DC because that's recommended in an MS network, and IIS and TS can be behave slightly different on a DC with regards to permissions. But two servers will do.

As for the other exam topics:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-290.asp
    most of the features you need to practice (e.g. permissions, file and printer sharing, performance monitoring, are installed and available by default or can be installed by assigning a server role when needed.

btw, VPN and Remote Access are not 70-290 topics.
  • jkstechjkstech Member Posts: 330
    thanks Johan

i realize in the scope of 70-290 vpn/remote isn't covered
    but as for my "virtual network" i knew that was something i wanted to practice eventually

thanks for the advice
    get back to studying!!!