Update on DSU MSIS

I figured I would make a post around my journey through my DSU MSIS.

So far I have taken:
INFS 720 Systems Analysis and Design
INFS 724 Project and Change Management
INFS 760 Enterprise Modeling and Data Management
INFS 762 Data Warehousing and Data Mining

I have these courses coming up:
INFS 730 Web Application Development
INFS 734 Multi-Tiered & Service-Oriented Architectures
INFS 736 Technology for Mobile Devices
INFS 750 IT Infrastructure, Technology, and Network Management
INFS 752 Advanced Network Technology and Management
INFS 756 Cloud Computing and Network Services
INFS 764 Information Retrieval
INFS 766 Advanced Database
INFS 770 Advanced Data Mining Applications
INFS 772 Programming for Data Analytics
INFS 774 Big Data Analytics
INFS 780 Information Technology Strategy and Policy

Some Additional Electives also coming up:
CSC 705 Design and Analysis of Computer Algorithms
CSC 710 Structure and Design of Programming Language
CSC 716 Secure Software Engineering
STAT 612 Statistical Programming
STAT 701 Modern Applied Statistics I
STAT 702 Modern Applied Statistics II

Comments

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Definitely looking forward to your write up on this program. Thanks in advance for taking the time to share wit
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    INFS 720 Systems Analysis and Design

Overview: This course is focused on a UML approach to design. The text books were:
    Systems Analysis and Design with UML
    Writing Effective Use Cases

The initial focus of the book covered the development methodologies used during software modeling (e.g waterfall, scrum, agile, ect). Additionally the fundamentals around analysis were discussed as well as what the functional roles of analysts were in software design and analysis. The reoccuring trend is that the first 3 weeks level set, with a lot of reading and terminology and then we quickly move into design.

The focus of the course was to design a software platform cradle to grave. In order to do this we used the IBM Rational Software Modeler. Additionally we had to work as a team. I unfortunately had a guy in my group who wasn't cutting the mustard so we had to fire him, it was a really weird feeling asking the professor to fire one of your group-mates but he wanted us to run our project like a project.

We proceeded through the following steps:

System Request:We had to make a system request, outlining the business needs, business requirement, and business value. We had to research comparable projects and use those for our metrics.
    Feasibility Analysis: We had to analyze the feasibility of the project
    Work plan:We had to create a work plan, align it with the SDLC and divide it among the team. (Several Google Hangout calls on this )
    Analysis Strategy: We had to pick an analysis strategy and then we had to perform an analysis.
    Requirement Analysis: We had to create an in/out list, and a criteria.
    Use Case Realization: We had to create all of the UML documents for the Use Case Realization, (i.e. Use Cases, Class Diagrams, Behavioral Diagrams, ect)
    System Architecture: We had to create a full blown architecture, Layer 1 to 7. As well as the method for governance of the platform.
    User Interface Design: We had to create a full UI mockup with screenshots, input/output design, and requirements (Languages, colors, ect.)
    Data Storage Design: We had to create the schema, data types, storage methods, ect.

Overall I learned a ton, and I was able to immediately apply what I learned

Strengths: Very sequenced in-depth look at design and analysis. I learned a ton about managing through the SDLC and managing a group of 5 people who were working full-time jobs. Using only Google Hangouts, to create a full fledged design (minus programming) was a great experience. For some reason I always end up being the PM, maybe it's my Type AA personality, but I highly recommend taking the PM role.

Additionally I learned in great detail, how modeling is done, and how UI development is done. Both of which were weak areas of mine.

Weaknesses: Maybe it's part of the experience but I really didn't like having a group. I felt it was slowing me down. People wouldn't do what I wanted them to do and when they did do it, it didn't look like what I wanted. Also, the course is very much lecture, read, do homework apply it on your project. This course had an intense amount of work even for me. I probably spent 15-20 nights past 1am working with the group on Google Hangouts.

The text is very repetitive and is a major pain in the butt.

The machine that had the Rational Software on it would not accept my USB disk. DSU has since changed their VM's but it was a major pain in the butt having to throw files on and off google drive every time I used the VM.

Side Note: This class was very applicable to what I do and helped me learn a lot about design it is probably one of the first courses I would take at DSU regardless of the program I am in.
    INFS 724 Project and Change Management

Overview: This course was essentially a fundamentals course on Project and Program management. The text used in the course was:
    Project Management: A Systems Approach to Planning, Scheduling, and Controlling

The course is heavily lecture and reading focused with a, cumulative group project that ends up being about 125 pages long. About a 2/3rd's of the course follows the PMBok and the other 1/3rd is focused on running a PMO (Program Management Office). Everything from scheduling, financing, management structures, project structures, and execution are covered. The project itself is a start to finish project where we "make up" a project or use an existing work project and move the project through the PM Lifecycle.

The project flows like this:

Initiating phase: creating a project charter, identifying stakeholders
    Planning phase: developing a Project management plan, defining scope/creating a WBS (work breakout structure), defining labor/activities, budgeting costs, communication planning, and risk analysis.
    Executing phase: requesting and managing labor, status updates, and progress meetings.
    Monitoring and Controlling: managing costs, (the professor will through some wrenches in your project and you need to adjust)
    Closing: closing out the project, documentation, warranty ect.

Strengths: This was a solid primer on PM and PMO management. If you have very little management, project, or business experience you will gain a solid understanding of the fundamentals. Also, you will be throughly prepared for the PMP exam after the course (I am kicking myself that I didn't take the PMP). You will be managing a group, (my group was ex-pats, always fun trying to get past the language barrier). Your professor will disrupt your project and you will have to react (increase in material costs, labor leaving, inter-company strife, ect).

Weaknesses: Not so much a weakness but I already work in a PMO and manage all the partnerships for a Fortune 75 company so, I already knew most of the information. Additionally the lectures are 3 hours straight and while the professor is very engaging, 3 hours is still a long time. Fortunately they are recorded. A 125 page paper is a beast even with 5 people in the group so be prepared. Finally, you don't get to choose your group which sucked as I had the same folks from INFS 720 in my class and they were solid but I got stuck with a bunch of ex-pats who could barely speak English.

Side Note:
    The course itself, is solid. You should definitely schedule the PMP for right after the course as you could pass the PMP with maybe .5 days of additional study.
    INFS 760 Enterprise Modeling and Data Management

Overview: This course is half data modeling and half database management. There are two books for the course:
    Database Systems: Design, Implementation, and Management
    Murach's Oracle SQL and PL/SQL

The course begins by having you go through 9 chapters of the DB Sys book. You will learn about the different modeling techniques, normalization of data, database design (logical), and database design (physical). You will have many hand's on projects where you are given a case study and you must extrapolate data sets and design a enterprise data model. Additionally, you must take data sets that are given to you and perform normalization against these data sets.

The second half of the course involves basically reading all of Murach's book and doing every exercise in the book. Expect to get some heavy experience using Oracles SQL DB. You will learn to Create, Alter, Update, Drop Tables. You will learn to create index's, perform scripts/loops, Join DB's, Create Views, and export data via Java.

In addition to Murach's book expect to have problems related to the material but utilizing separate DB's.

Strengths: I always thought I was pretty solid with my MS SQL skills but the database design (logical) really helped me to understand the impact my SQL designs were having. Furthermore, I was able to apply what I learned to join a few databases at a customers site and to create a database model, once again serendipitous timing. The exercises are very hands on, this class was much more structured then others. In all the DSU classes I have had so far, they just kinda give you a primer and then say go get 'em. Maybe the structured aspects of the course is what led me to my weaknesses...

Weaknesses: Probably the most BORING lectures I have ever watched in my life. The content was solid, but literally the lectures were like nails on a chalkboard, I just couldn't watch them. After, having 4 in a row knockout lecturers at DSU I was disappointed, this is the only class I have had at DSU where the lecturer really needed to go to a Toastmasters group and practice public speaking. Now to be clear, the content is solid, the instructor was very responsive, but his speaking was to dry for me.

Side Notes: You will learn a ton about DB's. You will leave knowing how to take a DB that your given, normalize it and then lay out it's design both (logically and physically). You will learn Crow-Foot, Chen, and UML formats. You will learn everything you need to know for a basic DBA role using Oracle. The course is a little light on the scripting and I would like to see more around DB exchange with web apps and cloud systems but that was not the intent of the course.
    INFS 762 Data Warehousing and Data Mining

Overview: This course provides an overview of Data Warehousing and Data Mining concepts. The textbooks in this course were:

Object-Oriented Data Warehouse Design: Building a Star Schema
    Data Mining: Building Competitive Advantage

After having suffered through the most boring lectures ever in INFS 760, INFS 762 was like mana from heaven. The professor was so engaging, I couldn't tell if it was just the contrast of how bad the INFS 760 professor was at lecturing or if the INFS 762 professor was just that good.

This course begins with the typical split first 1/2 was focused on Data Warehousing, a lot of lecture up front followed shortly by a lot of hands on. You really need to understand the material from INFS 760 because you will be doing a lot of Data Warehouse logical design. You will need to know how to take what you learned in INFS 760 in order to normalize multiple databases prior to bringing them into a data warehouse.

If you are not solid with your skills from INFS 760 you will find INFS 762 to be quite difficult. I have noticed that in the INFS track the core courses are group courses and the specialty tracks are non-group meaning the INFS 762,4 ect will not have group projects.

The second 1/2 of the course is focused on Data Mining. You will review the basic data mining technologies and techniques and then you will perform some basic Data Mining, no real advanced scripting although you will perform analysis of other folks's scripts. You will end the semester by using a Data Mining free-ware tool and an overview of Hadoop and Big-Data.

The class work consisted of Data Warehouse Design in Visio, Writing papers covering the research and analysis of current Data Warehouse projects in your vertical market, and analysis of Data Mining projects, algorithms, and strategies in peer-reviewed reviewed .

Strengths: You will learn a solid amount around Data Warehousing and Data Mining. You will perform quite a bit of Data Warehouse (logical) design. You will also learn the methods and approaches behind Data Mining. The course is fast paced, a lot of reading, and 2 1.5 hour lectures per week. The professor is very good at keeping you engaged.

Weaknesses: I wanted to see more hands on around Data Mining especially in regards to Python scripting but this is an INFS not a CS course so it is more focused on giving you a managerial overview of Data Warehousing/Mining so you can lead teams.

The text's were a little old especially the Data Mining text but the concepts were solid and the text's were supplemented by current Peer-Reviewed Articles.

Side Notes: It will be interesting as I move into the MSA courses INFS 768 and above if there is a shift to more scripting. The course descriptions for the MSA courses state that there will be heavy R and Python usage.
  • schhatwalschhatwal Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Philz1982,

I hope you are doing great and I am so glad that I came across this blog. It's truly awesome and has given me a solid heads up to prepare for the program. Is it possible for you to share a details about
    1. Capstone Project
    2. INFS 750 IT Infrastructure, Technology, and Network Management
    3. INFS 780 Information Technology Strategy and Policy
    Thanks anf greatly appreciate the help. Even a brief is appreciated as I understand it may take a lot to share the indepth details.