Options

IT Job Fundamentals?

Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
So I'm studying the Sec+ and after taking the Network+, I've noticed it is very theoretical and not too much hands on work. I know it is a foundation certification, but I find that these just teach you what certain things are and how they work but don't really allow you to get your hands dirty.

I am only completing the trifecta for an internship and moving onto Cisco as networking is where I want to go into and I know it is very practical in the fact that it is very hands on.

What I don't really understand is why do employers look at CompTIA certifications in such great light? It simply shows understanding of fundamentals. Plus, I haven't broken into IT (yet) but how do you guys know how to for example: be efficient in AD, even if you haven't really focused on it? Does the employer assist you ? Sorry, but just confused about this.

Comments

• Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You'll get efficient in AD very quickly on the job :) lots of repetition! Especially password resets...

CompTIA has great name recognition. People who couldn't tell the difference between CCENT, CCNA, CCNP and CCIE, or MCITP / MCSA / MCSE - not to mention all the tracks and specializations within each of those certifications - have often heard of A+, Net+, and Security+. However, you will find that a lot of mid-range jobs require a manufacturer cert such as CCNA, MCSA, VCP, and so on.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have not switched into IT yet either but I know the general reason why entry level certificates are not task specific.

It's all about building blocks. You start at the bottom with your entry level certification.
    Being vendor neutral it is not designed to teach you how to configure each device. It is more meant to teach you what each device is.
    Experience will teach you how to do specific tasks. Entry level certifications give the employers the impression that you will be able to understand what they show you because you already covered the basics.

I don't know if that helps you but learning involves a process.