Options

Performing a VMware ESXi 4.1 to Hyper-V conversion this weekend, any pointers?

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
Hey guys,

I'm performing a esxi 4.1 to Hyper-v conversion this weekend since our customer can't afford VMware licensing and there server is the free version of esxi from a previous IT company. To save on costs just going to use the integrated Hyper-v on the 2008 R2 server that is already there; is it my ideal choice honestly no; I love VMware but it is pricey and not everyone can afford it.

Outside of the link below, does anyone have some pointers that I should be aware of?

Step-By-Step: Migrating From VMware to Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012 - Canadian IT Professionals - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Comments

• Options
    ReibeReibe Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So I have to ask, what was the major push to migrate since you had an existing setup? Cost?

Edit: I know cost was mentioned above, but was that the only factor? I'm assuming it must've been significant difference to push for the migration.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The Microsoft Virtual Academy is a seriously underrated resource. They have about 6 hours of videos dedicated to this topic that you may find useful.

VMware to Hyper-V Migration

Cheers!
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    Reibe wrote: »
    So I have to ask, what was the major push to migrate since you had an existing setup? Cost?

Poor Configuration and a cost factor.

The esxi 4.1 host server is actually a lease from my current employer that was a migration for literally a Dell Optiplex desktop being used as a server.. We finally convinced them to buy a new server and were planning on migrating all of there VM's to Hyper-V.

it was literally a network built by someone whom knew enough to be dangerous but really didn't know enough, if you know what I mean...
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you're getting a new server, why not 2012 R2? Much better features for Hyper-V.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Second the suggestion, why not 2012 R2?
    I build all new VMs on Hyper-V now. Migrated a few servers from VMware using Disk2VHD free tool. It works great but you will have some downtime.
  • Options
    sratakhin wrote: »
    Second the suggestion, why not 2012 R2?
    I build all new VMs on Hyper-V now. Migrated a few servers from VMware using Disk2VHD free tool. It works great but you will have some downtime.

server was purchased like 10 months ago, it's relatively new. the new employers has been under-staffed and one of my new roles is too take the load off and get projects finished.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would 3rd the 2012R2. I migrated lots of VMware VM's from 5.1-5.5 to 2012R2. Granted it was all done through VMM but it was doable. 2012R2 is so much better and worth the time spent in my opinion.
  • Options
    I would 3rd the 2012R2. I migrated lots of VMware VM's from 5.1-5.5 to 2012R2. Granted it was all done through VMM but it was doable. 2012R2 is so much better and worth the time spent in my opinion.

not possible; it would be a cost constraint.
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    $800 seems like a small price to pay to have a much better platform and 2 Windows server licenses for VMs. Even then Hyper-V 2012R2 would be a better choice. There are so many advancements in 2012 and 2012R2 for hyper-v that I would never install 2008R2 with Hyper-v again.
  • Options
    netsysllc wrote: »
    $800 seems like a small price to pay to have a much better platform and 2 Windows server licenses for VMs. Even then Hyper-V 2012R2 would be a better choice. There are so many advancements in 2012 and 2012R2 for hyper-v that I would never install 2008R2 with Hyper-v again.

let but it this way; it's a state municipality which means zero mulla.