Options

What technologies are you intrigued by, and wish you could learn?

MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
When I first started out in IT and had little or no direction, I thought that one day I might want to be a datacenter or engineer sysadmin for supercomputing.

In all the reading and studying I've done in IT, I've learned little about these two technologies. After quite a bit of thorough research, I've turned up very little about the underlying basics of datacenter and supercomputer architecture. Once my studying slows down, I'd really like to look into supercomputing and see if I could build my own out of something like a Raspberry Pi or the new Intel Edison. I'd like to pair this with some development work for neural networking software like NuPIC, another interest.

For me, supercomputing, datacenters, and neural networks/AI are probably my primary interests outside of security. Knowing that there is something that I still don't understand keeps me motivated to learn more.

What technologies intrigue you? What technologies do you wish you could learn?

Comments

• Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Honestly I am really interested in the whole SDN (software-defined networking) business right now
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    if I had to pick one MS Project. I'd like to go from intermediate to advance in the next year. I'll have PLENTY of opportunities.
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Voip. I haven't had time, resources, or backing from management to get into it. Our helpdesk is geographically spread out, and when I have to watch the phone all I can do is check the voicemail, I never get to know when it actually rings. I'd like to change that. That and I think voip is neat...I'd love to be able to set up free ip based calling between family members.
  • Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IPS, especially more advanced ones.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    I'm primarily talking about personal interests separate from one's career.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    MSP-IT wrote: »
    I'm primarily talking about personal interests separate from one's career.

Trading options and option related strategies.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    Stock options?
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Physics (particularly quantum) / Philosophy and Psychology.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yes, stock options
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    Physics (particularly quantum) / Philosophy and Psychology.

I do find physics interesting, but from what I understand, experimental physical is highly limited in what they can achieve due to technological/monetary constraints. The Large Hadron Collider was something like 10 billion dollars and 20+ years in the making (don't quote me on those stats) in order to solve some of the more basic experiments hypothesized by theoretical physicists. I don't know about you, but I'd rather be in a field where the primary limiting factors are set at a much lower bar. Yeah, you can't really compare the end goals of each, but I think that in terms of our own future existence, technology (generalized) has a much more impactful future.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MSP-IT wrote: »
    I do find physics interesting, but from what I understand, experimental physical is highly limited in what they can achieve due to technological/monetary constraints. The Large Hadron Collider was something like 10 billion dollars and 20+ years in the making (don't quote me on those stats) in order to solve some of the more basic experiments hypothesized by theoretical physicists. I don't know about you, but I'd rather be in a field where the primary limiting factors are set at a much lower bar. Yeah, you can't really compare the end goals of each, but I think that in terms of our own future existence, technology (generalized) has a much more impactful future.

when radio waves where developed it was by people exploring Physics, and it was people who started of by imagining it, then came people who had the money and equipment to test the theories and then came people who worked out how to use it.. Radio / Electricity / semiconductors where all imagen because some one was curious and only later proved and later still a use was found for them. Most breakthroughs in "technology" is based on an idea some one had rather than people working on a specific problem. While technology research might have reduced the size of an transister to <12nm, this is a refinement not a breakthrough.

Technology is just the application of ideas that some one once and where lucky enough to get proved correct. While this is great you are limited to the "facts" that the technology if founded on. But Science you can be working on the LHC and yes thats amazing, But I work with many scientist and almost every single one (the are virologists mostly), are looking at things that no one else has ever seen and / or understands. For graphine one amazing discover all it took was sticky tape and a slab of graphite. LHC is a special case, and the focal point of 10,000's of scientists ideas and work. LHC was not designed to answer a particular question but to produce data for people to study. Go to the university of Oxford in the UK and the receive a feed of all that data, and should you study Physics at any of the universities around the UK you can request free access to it. No one really changes the settings to answer one question then another. The engineers just turn it on and **** that data to the scientists.

It is an astounding achievement though, one of the experiments (there are 4 in total on the ring) was described as a "6 story Swiss pocket watch... and whats more impressive is it works :) ). If you want to see what technology can achieve that would be some where to visit. no only are the experiments so complex but then you have to move the data around. It produces about 40Tbyts of data a day and that is sent out to institutes around the world across some of the most advanced networks.

OH i will shut up now, but I do love sciences, just wasn't much good at it in the field i chose.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    when radio waves where developed it was by people exploring Physics, and it was people who started of by imagining it, then came people who had the money and equipment to test the theories and then came people who worked out how to use it.. Radio / Electricity / semiconductors where all imagen because some one was curious and only later proved and later still a use was found for them. Most breakthroughs in "technology" is based on an idea some one had rather than people working on a specific problem. While technology research might have reduced the size of an transister to <12nm, this is a refinement not a breakthrough.

Technology is just the application of ideas that some one once and where lucky enough to get proved correct. While this is great you are limited to the "facts" that the technology if founded on. But Science you can be working on the LHC and yes thats amazing, But I work with many scientist and almost every single one (the are virologists mostly), are looking at things that no one else has ever seen and / or understands. For graphine one amazing discover all it took was sticky tape and a slab of graphite. LHC is a special case, and the focal point of 10,000's of scientists ideas and work. LHC was not designed to answer a particular question but to produce data for people to study. Go to the university of Oxford in the UK and the receive a feed of all that data, and should you study Physics at any of the universities around the UK you can request free access to it. No one really changes the settings to answer one question then another. The engineers just turn it on and **** that data to the scientists.

It is an astounding achievement though, one of the experiments (there are 4 in total on the ring) was described as a "6 story Swiss pocket watch... and whats more impressive is it works :) ). If you want to see what technology can achieve that would be some where to visit. no only are the experiments so complex but then you have to move the data around. It produces about 40Tbyts of data a day and that is sent out to institutes around the world across some of the most advanced networks.

OH i will shut up now, but I do love sciences, just wasn't much good at it in the field i chose.

I can definitely see your point of view, and from what I've heard, this is how the scientists themselves explain it.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pig farming ... Get up, feed pigs, go back to sleep ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Big Data and just so happens that we're doing it at work :)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jibbajabba wrote: »

Which breed? What type of feed? Any particular market?
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    jibbajabba wrote: »

We're talking about cyber-pigs, right? Because I'd assume you'd be nice enough not to derail the thread by posting something that doesn't fall under the original question.
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Big Data and just so happens that we're doing it at work :)

Well then that's the best of both worlds!
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Dancing; it's very technical.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The evolution of ideas and their tendency to create inevitable conflict (and bring people together at the same time). Also, the interest of understanding lucid dreaming and neurolinguistics (Or at least enough to benefit me)
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Supercomputers, particularly the classic Beowulf clusters built with old systems that would have otherwise been destined for the dumpster. I was particularly interested in the networking architectures they came up with with switches being prohibitively expensive at the time and more about what they're doing with the huge amounts of CPU resources available today.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Virtualization for me. I got an ever so small taste of it back in 2006/2007 and I've always been intrigued by it. I hang around the Virtualization forum section here and follow it to live vicariously through the guys over there. Unfortunately doesn't make sense for me to have to go start at the bottom now since I'm 8 years into InfoSec, but I will eventually pursue some VMWare certs for personal gratification.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework