Options

programming language

lmxlmx Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi I looking for advice on program language, I work on windows server, network for more than 8 years, and I want learn a program language, what you recommend for my previous experience.... thanks

Comments

• Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    What do you want to program? Since you are in a windows environment - powershell/batch is a good guess but more information is needed.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    lmxlmx Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi, MOP 1st thank 4 advice, what kind info i needed?, i think PS was like Advanced CMD.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Do you want a language that will help your work with windows or do you want to just start programming(without trying to link it to windows)?
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    C++. Great OOP language to learn the ropes on.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Python is generally a good starting language in general.
    It's easy to learn, lots of resources and very active community.

From there I suppose you can work your way through the maze , depending on your goals.
    Web, Applications, Web-Applications or Systems programming? Which platforms, mostly Windows ? or something a bit more portable.
    For Applications, C++, C# or Java are natural next steps.
    For Systems, it might depend on the environment, Windows or Linux ?
    In which case, some more advanced Power Shell, Visual Basic works well for Windows, and BASh, Perl, Python for Linux.
    At some point in the Systems journey C is a must, you should at least be able to read & understand C , as the source code is mostly C .
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm tailoring this post to the Windows arena. For a scripting language, look at Powershell. It's the best tool for your job.If being a Windows sysadmin is what you want to do forever, then I would also look at C#. Doing this will allow you to dive into .NET programming and creating your own cmdlets in Powershell. That would greatly elevate your career.
    ccnxjr wrote: »
    At some point in the Systems journey C is a must, you should at least be able to read & understand C , as the source code is mostly C.

I definitely endorse this post. C will bring you to a higher level of understanding regarding computing/systems.