Options

What's worse than failing 70-410 twice?

Echo64Echo64 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■■■□□□□□□□
How about failing twice with the exact same score! I pretty much bombed on Group Policy, getting less than 20% icon_redface.gif, my score both times was 556. My 3 weakest include: Group Policy, Active Directory, and Network Services. On the plus side, I got over 85% in Hyper-V, which is good because I hope to specialize in virtualization in the future.

I pretty much used every resource possible while studying: CBT Nuggets, PluralSight, MVA, Microsoft books, SkillSoft, MeasureUP, TechNet, etc. It's pretty embarrassing, especially since I use AD everyday in my work.

Some recommendations: Know IPv6 (all of it, including subnet masks), Polices (including where to change specific settings), Printers (including permissions, when you can print), PowerShell (pretty much every second question involves it in some way), know how to calculate how many computers you can use with a subnet (eg. 2 to the power of X), Hyper-V (storage, networking, manager settings). I will include more if I think of any.

That's it, I just wanted to share and let off a little steam. I'll study some more and eventually take it again, I might try a Transcender test this time. If you have any advice, please let me know!

One more thing, if you are scheduling an exam, choose Pearson VUE over Prometric if possible, the experience is a lot better.

Comments

• Options
    pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Know how you feel, I failed my 3rd attempt with the exact same score (scored 682 twice though thankfully due to PC issues they voided it) as my 2nd fail and I was in disbelief when it came up on the screen icon_rolleyes.gif

That said I made my first attempt knowing full well I would've been very lucky to pass so I suppose in reality I've had one good stab at this but it's hard to focus on your weaknesses and making sure you don't slip up in other areas, the exam seems very different on each attempt so you can't take anything for granted.

I've struggled to find the time in the last few months but I've got back on with my studies in the last few weeks and I'm hoping to make it 3rd/4th time lucky, if I fail again then I don't know what I'll do (I need to get at least MCSA complete pronto so I can get a new job) and it'll really knock my confidence.

I just downloaded the transcender the other day (I also have measureup) and although the questions are very labored and fairly difficult, they are thoroughly explained which is good and you can also go back to previous test exams and look through the answers which you can't do with measure up and that's handy.

I also looked at PUE the other day and they're about £23 cheaper as well so worth using if you can.
  • Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What's worse than failing 70-410 twice?

-hmmm let me think about this one.. Oh I know! Studying for the bloody thing in the first place!
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Keep trying!

I know it is easier said than done, but hang in there and get back to it. I worked with a fellow who failed the same exam 5 times...so, maybe try another exam, and come back to this one or simply stay on it.

I might consider a different text and possibly partnering up with a mentor, preferably someone local to you, but online might work.

Another thing that can be helpful is to 'teach' the material to someone else. The best way to check ones understanding it to explain to someone who has NO CLUE about the material.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
    i once failed a MS exam twice. First time round i failed by one question, the next time i failed by two questions. It is hard to pick yourself up again. Good luck
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I can tell you what's worse. Failing the 70-640 a second time with an even lower score. That's what's worse. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    buckle up, study more and retest. It sucks but that is part of certification, the 70-413 was my nemesis but I defeated it no matter how painful. Labs, virtual academy and TechNet are the best in my book. Break down each exam objective and review in technet and when possible lab or use virtual academy. Try to eliminate wrong answers. this is hard because they might be right, just not for the test. The key is knowing the material well enough that you know why the wrong answers are wrong just as much as knowing the right answer. Also pick the question apart to find out what they are really asking for it is not always obvious and is often misleading.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Failing the 70-680 3 times with roughly the same score. I took a break from certifications for a while after that. Heck, I even knowingly started aiming for CompTIA certifications because I knew they were easier and would give me a confidence boost, before trying harder certs. I'll be pursuing this certification at the start of the new year.
  • Options
    Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Trust me I know how it feels to fail. I beat myself down so much when i fail or do things wrong. I know it's not much but I failed my first time trying to get this cert. Well any cert since this would be my very first one ever. I got 445 but thought I was going to get a lower one. I planning to take my second one the starting of Nov.

Started all over again on reading the same book and mastering windows server 2012 r2 (green one) . Ever time I finish a chapter in the green book i go back to the 70-410 r2 book and start that chapter. Hopefully readying the same material from 2 different books will stick this time. lol....

I think next week I will start including the practice test from transcender I got from work. See if that helps too.

All we could do is try and keep trying. I need it because of work is telling me to get it.

Well good luck
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*